Chapter 7

Joe was very much alive and trying to stay that way. "Now, hold on, mister," he said taking a step forward.

"No, you hold on," said the man, thrusting his rifle at Joe. "I've got a lot of questions I want answered." The rifle was pointed straight at Joe's chest.

"Anything you say," Joe said soothingly. He managed another step forward, then swung his arm quickly, batting the rifle aside. After a quick scuffle, he had the weapon in his hands, a little amazed that he had won in his weakened condition.

But the man before him was even more feeble. He could have been anywhere between forty and fifty. But he looked wasted. His face and neck were gaunt. His skin had a pale, pasty quality, and his eyes showed both fear and sleeplessness.

"Go ahead," the man said, his face stony. "Shoot me. End it!"

But Rita screamed. "Don't! It's my uncle!"

Joe glanced from the man to Rita, then lowered the weapon. "Do you always carry a rifle when you go out for supplies?" he asked suspiciously.

"Uncle Delbert and I are down here for a hunting trip," Rita explained. "We're from Wyoming."

"Right," Delbert said. "Whenever I go out, I carry the gun. I might get a lucky shot at something."

Or someone, Joe thought. He looked back into the cabin. Plenty of wood had been cut and was stacked near the stove. Provisions lined the kitchen shelves. These people weren't there for a simple vacation, and it didn't look as if they needed supplies.

"How long have you been here?" Joe asked.

"A couple of days," Rita said quickly.

"Shot anything?"

"Nope. All I've seen so far were a couple of jackalopes," Rita answered, smiling slightly.

"Jackalopes?" Joe echoed. An image flickered through his mind. "Knock it off, Rita. Anyone who spends time in the Rockies knows jackalopes don't exist. I sent a gag postcard with a jackalope to my brother."

"Your brother," Rita said. "Then your memory is coming back." Eager to change the subject, she explained about Joe's memory loss to her uncle.

Joe stood very still, trying to recall more images. A mall â€" a sporting goods store, where he had bought a pair of â€" "My boots," Joe whispered. "My hiking boots."

Rita stared at him. "What's that?"

"There's something hidden in one of my boots," Joe told her.

Uncle Delbert raised his head. "Hidden?" he repeated.

The three of them went back into the cabin, and Joe found his hiking boots by the door. Rita had cleaned and polished them. He picked up the right boot, feeling along the sole. Then he twisted the heel â€" it swung out!

Nestled inside the hollow heel was a small capsule.

Joe pulled the capsule open, and a scrap of paper dropped into his hand.

Eagerly, he unrolled the paper. He smoothed it against his palm and stared at it in frustration.

"What does it say?" Rita asked.

"It's just a line of letters." Joe tried to pronounce them. " 'On - ot - ow - at - ish - ik - a.'"

"May I try?" Rita asked. Joe handed her the message. "'On - ot - ow - at - ish - ik - a ?' Maybe it's an Indian name?"

"It's a code," Joe said. "And I don't have the key!" He paused for a second. How had he known that?

Delbert snatched the paper from his niece's hand. "Where did you get this?" he demanded.