What She Wants - Chapter Fourteen

Start from the beginning

Mercy's smile had froze. "Revolution, Grandfather?"

Lucifer turned towards the girl - who's hair flew into her face - and gave of a polished smile.

"So much to learn, young one." His head cocked to the side. "The seed of revolution is repression; and I have warned them, I have explained what is right," He paused, "And what is wrong. But now, the only solution is to pull the weed from its roots."

"To get rid of the one who started this oppression ...?" Mercy suggested.

"Not just get rid; we must make her suffer for her choice opinions on this race; to make her feel the pain, to take consequences and realize that what she has in mind is disgusting, and wrong, and impossible. And I wont let it happen again."

"Again?" Mercy asked, her eyebrows moving together as she stared at the young man in confusion.

"Why yes," Lucifer seemed almost humoured now, "The same situation happened between Nathaniel's mother and father of course."

******

Abbi felt like a half drowned rat. Her hair was wet, and sticking to her cheeks like slick black ink, while her clothes were plastered to her spine.

The rain thundered from above in sheets of cold and icy pellets.

The night was of course, cloudy and smelled slightly of precipitation, but the four of them had barely enough time to react. It started so suddenly, and no cabs were stopping, so here they sat, underneath a bus stop, drenched and cold.

Well, at least, Abbi was cold. The others weren't bothered by it in the least - even Patten and Evie were laughing.

But of course they weren't bothered by it. The rain only made them more beautiful, and for that, Abbi was resentful. She had crossed her arms and pouted on the bench as they waited for the bus.

Nathaniel, faithfully, sat next to her. But she wouldn't look at him.

For some reason, Abbi didn't want to see how beautiful he would look in the water, while she - a soaking monstrosity - was flushed and freezing.

"Are you cold?" Nathaniel asked softly in her ear.

His soft voice made her jump and turn towards him. Abbi regretted her movements the moment it happened. Nathaniel looked like a dowsed Greek god. His blond hair had turned a shade darker, and was slicked against the planes of his face. His cheek bones were outlined by shadows, and Abbi was positive that she could see his blue eyes through the rain; sparkling like the water around them.

"No." She said stubbornly, but unfortunately, shivered.

Nathaniel chuckled to himself, while muttering something unintelligible under his breath. Before Abbi could stop him, he had fastened himself into her side, and one heavy arm was thrown over her shoulders.

Abbi sighed, but was relieved to have the sudden warmth emancipating from him. The thought made her curious.

"I thought vampires were supposed to be cold." She commented, for only Nathaniel to hear.

He smirked. "I thought you'd ask sooner or later. It mostly depends on the amount of blood, we take say a vampire who's about to die of starvation would be extremely cold, but one who has just fed would be incredibly hot."

Abbi nodded absentmindedly, and then a squealing churn of thick wheels and rusty brakes turned the corner. The bus, Abbi thought gleefully, as she jumped up taking Nathaniel with her, and was already at the window before it had even got there.

Nathaniel even had to pull her back so the revolving door wouldn't hit her.

Abbi rushed inside the humid bus, and took a seat. Luckily, there were just enough for Nathaniel to sit down next to her, but Patten and Evie were forced to stand. Evie was snug against Patten's chest and didn't seem to mind, whereas he looked a little peeved.