"I'm happier than even then," I admitted, a smile pushing its way through. A giddy yet familiar sense of joy wrapped me in warm, steady arms. "Everything just feels so right with him. Now that I know what it's like to lose him, I see it more than ever, just how lucky I am."

 Bertram's keys jingled nearby. He had exited the store, that same little smile tugging at his lips. I noticed that he was growing into his body, slowly but surely. He was tall as ever, but he had a bit of muscle now to balance it.

 "I love to hear that, boo, I really do," Ivy said, clasping one of my hands between both of hers, which were decorated with silver rings and pale gold paint, "but I need details. Every second of each day."

 I released a giggle, trying to fight back the faint flame beneath my cheeks. "Well, he came and picked me up early in the morning. We got some food, then went to this cabin on the mountain. It was fun."

 "You know what I'm talking about," Ivy groaned. "The good stuff! How'd it happen? How and when did you two decide you wanted to be together?"

 Well, I could have said, if I'd been willing to give up the blunt truth, we had an argument that turned into a hot make-out session that turned into sex. The sun beat softly and could not quite be blamed for the rouge of my cheeks. Ivy noticed, because a smirk grew slowly on her glossed lips.

 "Was it already planned?" Ivy guessed. "Or did he catch you off guard? Did you catch him off guard?"

 "It was..." I struggled to form a satisfactory explanation. The question was a hard one to answer, for I did not quite possess the answer. "Well, it's honestly hard to say. It started out as a fight, kind of, and just...I don't know, turned into something else."

 "Ooh." Ivy's eyes twinkled, just as Bertram inserted the gas pump into his truck. "Makeup sex—I love it."

 Clearly, by the tone of her voice, it was clear that Ivy was joking. Still, it sent a live jolt of electricity up my spine. My lips tightened, and Ivy's smile slowly subsided. She studied me a bit more closely, noted the wild roses in my cheeks, the guilty expression in my eyes that I so desperately tried to hide.

 The disappearance of her smile reversed. Ivy's hazel eyes brightened intensely, colored with shock. "No way."

 Bertram was not even looking our way, but he asked, "Kayla get some dick?"

 "Bertram!" I shrieked. "Watch your mouth!"

 Ivy's expression slowly rose into excitement. She grabbed both of my hands and squeezed. "No fucking way!"

 "Leave her alone, guys," Leah said, but no one seemed to hear her but me. Even she was smiling, though she hid it behind her fingers.

 Bertram wheeled to face me, mouth falling wide. "Wait—you did?"

 "No— What? No," I insisted, but my unconvincing tone erased any chance of persuasion.

 "Oh, my God!" Ivy squealed. "Yes! Yes! Tell me everything, tell me...everything."

 I heaved a great sigh, shook my head, and buried my smile in my arms. There was nothing I could say. Bertram and Ivy were totally convinced. Leah was quiet, but I was sure she felt the same way. It was just slightly disappointing that they could read me so well.