Chapter 5

Charlotte wasn't stupid. Far from it actually. She knew the murder of Margret Marcus was anything, but normal. She knew George personally and he was not the type of man to commit murder. Let alone kill his own wife, he loved her unconditionally. Their three children proved that. Why would he? She had no idea.

The FBI agents who had questioned her moments before were definitely not FBI. Although she did not recognize them, she had a strong hunch they were hunters. She left that world five years ago, why would she know them?

Charlotte had a million questions running through her head, but she knew one thing for sure. She would not get involved. She would do everything it took to keep Cassie away from the supernatural. Even if it meant driving recklessly to lose the car that had been following her the since she left Addison's house.

Glancing in the rear view mirror she could clearly see the old impala three cars back. They obviously knew what they were doing as they kept their distance but, she knew better. Turning her head she made sure Cassie was buckled in before she stepped on the accelerator and quickly zoomed two lanes over. She caught the left turn light just as it was changing from yellow to red. Her tires skidded across the pavement as she continued to speed away. 

If she was in that impala, there was nothing a red light could do to stop her. 

She quickly turned right into a shopping center and then left down the ally way behind the stores. As soon as she hit the other side she turned off into a residential neighborhood and slowed down. Looking up into her mirror she was happy to see that there was no longer a car behind her. 

Taking the long way she drove home and parked inside the garage to hide the car. She wasn't out of trouble yet. As she shut off the engine her mind ran wild with a plan to protect Cassie.

She moved to the side of the car and helped her daughter out of the car seat. The five year old was oblivious to the stress of her mother. She was still asking if they could 'drive like a roller coaster' again. 

"Cassie, you want to go on a trip?" She asked with a smile as she scooped her daughter up and held her on her hip. 

"Yeah!" She yelled out her face brighting instantly. Charlotte laughed as she walked into the house. Shutting the door she turned around and froze. 

"Shit." She muttered.

"Mommy! That's a bad word!" The young girl chastised. 

"Cassie, go up stairs and play."

"But-" She frowned as her mom carefully set her down. 

"Go."

Cassie pouted but, obeyed and ran up to her room. Charlotte stood frozen and stared at the two men in front of her.

"That was some impressive driving Charlie." Dean commented, his face emotionless. 

"Yeah, I'm impressed you kept up." She answered. 

I'm in deep shit.

"What are you?" Sam asked his gun pointed at her chest. Her eyes widened.

"Wait, what?" She asked shaking her head in confusion. They don't know?

"Drop the act." Dean responded cocking his gun.

"I'm not a monster!" She yelled. She quickly glanced up stairs to see if Cassie heard her. She lowered her voice. "I'm not a freakin' monster, do whatever test you need to."

Both men faltered slightly. "Than what the hell are you?" Dean asked eyebrows furrowed. Charlotte sighed loudly.

"A hunter, dumbass."