08

Droplets of water flowed paths down her bare back, her hair was loose and flat from the weight of her shower.

Standing in the mirror, Terra brought a hand to wipe away the fog from her eye level. Wet lashes framed large, tired eyes. It was remarkable what a night in the capital could do to her appearance, what it never failed to do each time she stepped foot in the extravagant city.

Pulling her gaze away, she tucked herself in a warm, cozy towel and slipped into her room. The clothes provided to her were the same type that she was always expected to wear. A light, flowy satin style pyjamas that were more uncomfortable than they were meant to be.

Allowing her hair to soak the back of her top, Terra shuffled toward the dining room where a large meal was laid out for them by the kind benefactors of the capitol. She could spot some of her favorite dishes before even reaching the table.

"Took you long enough, Princess," Wilber's disgruntled grumble came from his seat at the head of the table.

Terra spared him a polite smile and a minuscule nod of acknowledgement before seating herself silently and serving herself a small portion of one of the richer meats.

Across from her, Lux lifted his fork in greeting - lips pulled in a taunt smile. It took only a moment for Terra to catch onto his attitude, the incessant chatter of Azolla was grating to her ears - sharp and burning as the woman rambled about how nice it was to be with them in the capital again.

Sighing in agitation, Terra made quick work of shoveling the rest of food from her plate and a couple of mouthfuls of vegetables.

Pushing her chair back and standing, she guzzled down a cool glass of water before she attempting to make a break for her room.

Halfway there, she was stopped by the grunting growns of Wilber clearing his throat in a clear and concise fashion. Freezing mid step, she slowly turned to face him as he slowly cut into a tender piece of porterhouse steak.

"I was approached today," he began, pausing to chew with systematic movements. "I was approached today by annoyingly persistent mentors and tributes alike looking to make strike an alliance with the pair of you."

The girl shut her eyes with a sigh and pinched the bridge of her nose. She returned to her seat with calculated steps, lowering herself cautiously.

"Oh, that's just wonderful!" Azolla exclaimed with a little clap of her hands.

Lux grunted, serving himself a rather large slab of ham. "Not really."

Ignoring them both, Terra addressed Wilber, "What did you tell them?"

The elderly man snorted. "That you were old enough to talk them on your own. If they want something from you then they could speak to you directly."

An abrupt choking drew her attention across the table to where Lux was struggling between laughter and breathing around the ham he had swallowed.

Azolla stood in a flurry, smacking him in a series of frantic slaps that brought quiet giggles from a grinning Terra.

It took a moment before the other tribute of district 10 was able to brush the woman off and breathe easy - cheeks and neck coloured a dark red.

"That sounds like something you would say old man," Lux grinned, cutting his food into smaller pieces.

"That's because I did say it, you little idiot." Wilber reached a withered hand across the table and pulled a rather expensive bottle of spirits towards himself - pooring a large glass up to the brim and downing it, only to poor another.