Chapter One

Today was the day.
The day you took that first step into the Resistance base and started your new, amazing job.
Actually none of that was true. You've been working on base, and your job, well your job was merely exciting. You were a mechanic. Not one of those mechanics that worked on X-Wings or anything cool like that, no. You were the mechanic who came running down the hall when a water pipe broke.
But, you were part of the Resistance, and that's all you really wanted.
Right?

-----------------------------------------------------------

You rolled out of bed to the sound of your roomate screaming at you that you'd slept in too late.
At the news, you pulled on your working overalls over the blinding orange shirt you'd been wearing for 3 days, and wadded your hair up into the messiest bun possible.

When you raced out of the dorm you had almost forgotten your shoes, which you quickly grabbed and tugged on along with an old and tatterd jacket, before sprinting to the hanger.

Every morning you would watch the starships take off. It gave you hope, that one day you'd be able to fix one, maybe even fly one, and it'd be a big, bright, beautiful world. Nope. Not for you.

You were deep in thought as the jets took off, one squadrant after another, when a strikingly familiar voice echoed from behind you.

"Guys wait up! Shit, shit damn it!" He cursed to himself. As he pushed passed you, you realized who it was.

"Poe Dameron?" You asked aloud.

"Yeah, that's me!" He replied as the bay door shut.

Thats when you realized. He had missed his squadrant drills. Well, he hadn't missed them, they were going on now. He was late, and those doors weren't opening again until they were over. Not without Leias consent, at least.

"Sir, if you'd like, I could ask General Organa to reopen the bay doors." You took a step towards the man.

"Yeah, yeah, come on. Let's go before I miss the drills!" He shooed you away down the hall, as you both raced to find the general.

"General!" Poe slammed open the door to the meeting room. The room was full of our allies.

"Excuse me for a moment." The general stood up, and walked out to you and Poe.

"What do you want Poe? Im kinda busy at the moment." She crossed her arms.

"Well Ma'am, Mister Dameron was wondering if-" You were cut off by Poe.

"I missed take off this morning. If you could just open the doors long enough for me to get out there-" Poe was then cut off by the general.

"Absolutely not. Its too much of a risk. There's fighters everywhere Poe." She shook her head.

"I respect your concern, but I cant just sit here all day, while my entire team is out there." He began to pace.

"Oh, we'll find something for you to do." She turned her gaze from him, to you. "You're a mechanic right?"

"Well, yes Ma'am, but I'm not-" You began.

"Great. Poe will shadow you today. Show him what happens behind the scenes." Without hearing another word, she disappeared back into the meeting room.

You and Poe looked at each other. This was going to be a long day.

~551 Words~