11. The sorting hat's new song

Começar do início

"Well, Hagrid's AWOL." Cole announced to us, putting his head on the table. "Not to mention Alia's cosying up to Creevy."

"Oh hush up, they're only holding hands." Gennie rolled her eyes. "It could be worse. She could have a crush on that slytherin in her year who jumps on people's backs calling them unicorns."

"I thought that guy was joking when he leapt at me!" Cole exclaimed. He rested his head on the table. "God, people are weird."

"You're weird."

"Shut up, you muffin."

"How am I a muffin?" I questioned. "You are an oddball Cole."

"A savoury muffin, nobody likes savoury muffins."

"Why are you all talking about muffins?" Hermione asked from across me.

"Because I'm trapped between the weirdest people ever." Gennie sighed. "What's up?"

"Well the possible new teacher was at Harry's hearing." Hermione said. "Have a look."

I craned my head up to the teacher's table.  She was sat next to Dumbledore, and looked like a toad. The new teacher was squat, with short, curly, mouse-brown hair in which she had placed a horrible pink Alice band that matched the fluffy pink cardigan she wore over her robes.

A few seconds later, the doors from the Entrance Hall opened. A long line of scared-looking first-years entered, led by Professor McGonagall, who was carrying a stool on which sat an ancient wizard’s hat, heavily patched and darned with a wide rip near the frayed brim. 

 The buzz of talk in the Great Hall faded away. The first-years lined up in front of the staff table facing the rest of the students, and Professor McGonagall placed the stool carefully in front of them, then stood back. 

 The first-years’ faces glowed palely in the candlelight. A small boy right in the middle of the row looked as though he was trembling. Harry recalled, fleetingly, how terrified he had felt when he had stood there, waiting for the unknown test that would determine to which house he belonged. The whole school waited with bated breath. Then the rip near the hat’s brim opened wide like a mouth and the Sorting Hat burst into song.

For once, I tuned out the sorting hat's song. My mind was fixated on how only a few months ago I was here, and we were all mourning Cedric. And how a month before that, he always sat right in front of one of the hall fires, laughing and smiling with Cho.

I took a deep breath, and scratched at my hand. I knew it would be hard facing up to the memories of last year, but I didn't expect them to randomly creep up on me. Cho was sat with her friends at Ravenclaw, looking normal and without a care in the world.

If she could be like this after her boyfriend died, then I could pull myself together--Cedric and I weren't even that close. Shaking my head, I decided to try and pay attention to the sorting again.

"Listen closely to my song: 

 Though condemned I am to split you  

Still I worry that it’s wrong,  

Though I must fulfill my duty 

 And must quarter every year  

Still I wonder whether Sorting 

 May not bring the end I fear.  

Oh, know the perils, read the signs,  

The warning history shows,  

For our Hogwarts is in danger  

From external, deadly foes 

 And we must unite inside her