Always

"Wow, you actually only took 20 minutes! World record or what!" Giovanni teased as Luba exited the lift out into the hotel foyer. Raising an eyebrow she shook her head.
"Come on then, where's this 'amazingggg' place for breakfast? I'm starving."
"I gathered, it explains the dagger looks," he teased. She rolled her eyes again, hitting him playfully, shaking her head in dismay, "anyone ever tell you that you're a pain in the ass?"
He flashed her his famous smile, "What can I say? I'm a gift from god."
Luba frowned, "right okay, that's a new one. I give up with you sometimes."
Gio gasped, pretending to be hurt from her comment, "Luba Mushtuk! Offended much!"
Shoving him gently he looped his arm round her neck, their heads close together as they  walked into the Crepe place. Anyone would think they were a couple. A couple in love. But no....just friends. That's what they told themselves.
'I don't mix work with pleasure,' she remembered Gio saying. He was right, of course. But it worked for some? Aljaz and Janette. Kevin and Karen. Just obviously not for them. Both of them suppressing their feelings in fear of hurting the other, in fear of tarnishing their precious memories which they'd shared together.

**

"So now you've eaten and had the oh-so sacred Nutella and coffee can I have my Lovely Luba back now?" He said, a small smile on his face, glimmer of hope mixed with the typical cheekiness in his eyes. She laughed, pretending to contemplate it over, tapping her nails on the table. Tap, tap, tap. "Hmmmmm....I suppose so...I mean I guess you low key need me for today," she said.
"Only low key?! It is opening night tonight!"
Luba laughed, her whole face lighting up, "you're so easy to wind up! What's with you today? You don't need to worry about the show tonight, you're gonna be amazing!"
He reached across and squeezed her fingers, "we're gonna be amazing," he whispered. Luba rolled her eyes, "oh please, admit it, everyone coming to see the tour is coming to see you."
"Us. Us, Luba. Now come on, we should go find the others," he said, standing up from his place at the table.

**

30 minutes to go.
30 minutes until showtime.
30 minutes until the curtains would rise and the show would begin.

Gio knocked on the door of his best friend's dressing room.
"Come in!" She called. He slipped in to the room, closing the door gently behind him.
"Oh hi Gio, everything okay?"
He nodded, "nearly showtime."
"Yep, 28 minutes until we start."
He wrapped his arms from behind her, his head resting on her shoulder. She smiled, "Gio is everything okay?"
He nodded, "thank you for everything. I don't know what I'd do without you Luba."
"You soppy thing. Come on, you know I'm always here for you. It's always gonna be you and me, yes?" Luba said.
"Always," he confirmed, "always, I promise."