Chapter 4

Silence. Thats what was on the outside. On the inside, Semiramis was panicking on what to say.

Couldn't she just say that she didn't want to talk about it? No. That wouldn't work. Why should she even try to hide it anymore? Her husband couldn't find her here. This was like a temporary oasis. She'd be safe here.

At least she hoped that was the case.

She took a deep breath and looked at Shirou. His eyes held concern yet his body held was seemed like anger. She didn't know what to tell him.

Wait. What if she...?

"Where do you think they're from?" Semiramis asked softly. She was messing with the shirt Shirou had given her. She was starting to tremble even though she wasn't afraid.

Maybe she was cold?

Shirou didn't answer but instead picked up the jacket off the table. He put it back around Semiramis' shoulders and placed his hands on them.

"Semiramis, please be honest with me."

Seriousness was in his eyes.

His hands trailed down Semiramis' shoulders and to her hands. She shivered from the touch before squeezing Shirou's hands.

"I want to be." She admitted,"I really, really do."

"But you can't?"

She nodded and looked down when Shirou sighed. She knew he must be disappointed in her. She should just tell him but couldn't find the words to.

"It's alright." Shirou said gently,"I understand that it must be hard for you to talk about."

Hard was an understatement. She was terrified. She knew the punishment of telling someone about her situation. She could be killed. He would easily replace her. She would be gone without a trace, just another woman dead because she didn't get down on her knees.

How could she talk about all the sleepless nights? All the beatings that resulted in her getting knocked out? All the screaming and downgrading terms that were yelled? All the times that she had desperately tried to conceal the bruises on her?

Her breathing picked up when fear took its toll on her yet again. What if this was just the same way? Shirou would be kind to lure her in and then he'd-

She felt Shirou squeeze her hands again.

"Hey, are you hungry?" He seemed to be trying to distract her from the topic at hand. He was gently rubbing her knuckles with his thumbs. The gesture was strange but calming.

Semiramis couldn't trust herself to speak so she simply nodded. She finally looked up at Shirou. He was a strange man. He looked like he could easily win in a fight.

Wait. Isn't that what they were doing here?

She forced herself to speak,"Do you really fight other people here?"

Shirou seemed to tighten his grip at the question. It was almost like he was afraid of Semiramis running away. It was even stranger then his kind gestures.

"You'll understand soon. I only get a few days off to spend before I start going back to my normal schedule." He explained,"I'll try not to wake you when I leave in the mornings, alright?"

Leave? Normal schedule?

Semiramis found herself more confused then before. She sighed and shook her head slightly,"I don't understand..."

"But you will." Shirou started to walk towards the door, letting go of Semiramis' hands as he went. He stopped in front of it and seemed to think on something. He looked back at Semiramis.

"Within this room, you can call me Shirou. I know you've been hesitant on actually saying my name. It was clear on your face."

He looked away and rubbed the back of his neck.

"In order for us not to raise any suspicion, you'll have to call me 'Master' anywhere else. It's what the other men do with their women."

There was a pink tint to his face.

That caused Semiramis to wonder if Shirou took pleasure in the name. She blinked for a moment before walking over to him. She looked at him before nodding slightly.

"I understand...Shirou."

It felt strange to say his name. It brought calm to her when she did though and a small smile formed on Shirou's face.

"Ready to go, Semiramis?"

"If you are."

Shirou opened the door for Semiramis and locked it once the two were in the hall. He gestured for her to follow him and walked down the stairs.

She followed close behind him, jumping at the slightest of sounds. She moved closer whenever they passed people. The dull, soulless looks on their faces were haunting.

Semiramis wanted to know what happened to them but couldn't bring herself to ask.

It wasn't long before Shirou had turned into a hallway with few doors. They were all open. Laughter could be heard from inside.

"Sh-Master," Semiramis managed to correct herself just in time,"What is this?"

"Think of it like..." Shirou thought about the question before starting to walk inside,"A school cafeteria."

She nodded and quickly followed behind him. She didn't have much experience in things like this. Had she even gone to school? The only memories she had were ones with her being on the street before he found her. The thought wasn't nice to remember.

Semiramis looked around the 'cafeteria'.

It was filthy; a strange scent coming from a pair of doors in the back. The walls were covered in hideous wallpaper and the wooden floors didn't do anything to help it. The tables were arranged into something that could almost count as rows.

The people there were a mix of frightening and intriguing. Skimpily dressed women sat on the laps of scarred men. Their grip on them was tight and yet the women still laughed, smiled and flirted. The people were hurt horribly. So many different wounds were seen.

Yet some still laughed with each other and smiled. It was a strange, chaotic atmosphere and Semiramis made sure that she stayed close to Shirou.

She was lucky that she had the man. She realized how she could have easily gotten someone that would use her or-

She reached out and grabbed onto Shirou's sleeve. She didn't want to think about that. Fear was clawing at her throat once again as she met Shirou's eyes.

He looked her over for a moment before looking towards the ground. He seemed defeated, almost helpless.

"I can't do anything for you out here." He mumbled,"It'll attract too much negative attention."

Semiramis understood immediately. Even though Shirou seemed to be a good person, he had to keep the front of being just as cruel as the rest of the people here.

"Just sit down here and I'll go get something for us to eat. I hope they aren't charging anything today..." Shirou gestured for Semiramis to sit down at a table. He looked around for a moment before nodding and walking off.

Semiramis watched as he walked though the doors in the back.

She was alone.

Panic was the first thing to strike her. What would happen to her without Shirou? Her answer was quickly delivered to her when a few men walked up to where she was sitting.