The Wolf's Brewing Storm

"Here is this weeks data from the clinical trial as well as a list of observed side effects," Zelo handed Youngjae a folder, the other mindlessly nodding and taking the paperwork. Zelo's eyebrows squished together with concern. "Hyung, are you okay?" Zelo's voice was a murmur as if his words were taboo.

"What exactly happened between you and Daehyun after we left?" Himchan rolled his chair to Youngjae's desk, resting his hand on the younger's back and rubbing soothing circles.

Youngjae's face scrunched up. The now facade of ugliness thrown out the window now that Daehyun had saw him. His hair was now less messy and styled, his banga gently following on his forehead. His now upset doe eyes no longer hidden behind sheets of glass. His clothes all now fit him exceptionally, none of them the color of diarrhea. He should have been happy that the jig was up. He was supposed to feel relaxed and happy that the medical board allowed him to move the medicine to clinical trial. He should have been feeling all of that. But he wasn't. Confused. Mad. Sad. Empty. The emotions in his heart stewing in a pot of frustration and self-hate.

Daehyun and him had been avoiding each other like the plague and when the two of them did come into contact the atmosphere was awkward to say the least. No witty, stupid banter. No boisterous laughter and playful punches. Instead Daehyun returned to how he was before. He wasn't as cold, but he was distant. Only flashing Youngjae a forced smile before giving a polite hello and then quickly strutting to his next meeting or his office. Youngjae simply accepting the distance because he didn't know what else to do. Youngjae hated this. He wanted to stomp towards Daehyun and force the two of them to be friends again. But he knew he couldn't. He couldn't hurt Daehyun anymore than he already had.

He let out a small groan and buried his face in his hands, recalling when everything he thought he could protect fell apart.

"W-what..." Youngjae stared at the other man, unable to understand the words that had involuntarily spilled out of Daehyun's mouth. Out of Daehyun's heart.

Daehyun's eyes went wide at the realization of his words, but his expression immediately hardened. His hands balled up into tight fist as he turned away, not wanting to face the younger. His brows were knit tight and an obvious scowl was stuck on his plump lips. He hadn't want this to happen. Not in this way.

"Um...I think we should go..." Himchan awkwardly glanced at the pair stuck in heated tension, before ushering the two younger pups away.

"Daehyun..." Youngjae wanted to ask him so many questions. Ask his him why. Was his words just something that just came out in the heat of the moment. Was he just venting frustration. He couldn't formulate a single word. He wanted answers, but he was afraid. Youngjae thickly swallowed the fear and inhibitions the were stuck in his throat. "Daehyun, I-"

"Dr. Yoo," Both boys jumped by the sudden intrusion of the thick atmosphere. One of the members of the medical board peeked behind the curtain, his tuft of gray hair appearing. "The medical board would like to discuss with you about your research and findings. Would now be a good time?"

"Um," Youngjae glanced over and eyed Daehyun. He chewed his bottom lip, feeling torn as to which decision he should make. Obviously the medical board had something important to say. But the hurt in Daehyun's eyes...Youngjae couldn't just simply leave him. "Actually now is a bi-"

"It's fine. Mr. Yoo go ahead and speak with them," Daehyun relaxed his fist and ran his fingers through his dark locks. Youngjae feeling a chill of the words 'Mr. Yoo' directed at him. It made him feel as if him and Daehyun were oceans apart. "I need some time to sort things out. We can talk another time."

Before Youngjae could retort or say a single word, Daehyun had walked away. Youngjae put his lips in a tight line before turning towards the medical board member and flashing him a sullen smile. He followed after the member, opening the curtain, but not before glancing back at Daehyun's figure walking away from him.