Chapter One: Jamie Louis Merada

Life! Life? Life. What is life? I don’t know about you but mine is…. well….. non-existent. That’s right, I have no life. My name is Jamie Louis Merada, a normally, plain 15 year old girl. Average height 5’3, thin, normal blue eyes, normal brown long hair. Yep, nothing about me is special except, well I’m a pathological liar. My parents first discovered about my “ disease” when I was 10 a little too old for imaginary friends I know, but mine was real. He still is. I told them I was planning to run away with him. Needless to say they didn’t believe me. Three days later, I was taken to the police station while I was waiting for my parents to pick me up in order to be questioned by the police.

 I had indeed run away I can still remember it. The trees were tall and green, weeping willows, I was with Sebastian, my only love. His hair a light brown, was short and wavy, he had green eyes, tan and even at ten he was still three inches taller than me. I was laying down in a hammock by the beach, the wind was warm but pleasant as it hit my face. Sebastian was throwing rocks in the water, trying to skip them but failing. I heard a frustrated growl, interrupting my relaxation annoyed I turned to Sebastian. “ God! Could you be any louder! If I would have known you were going to yell I wouldn’t have let you come with me!”. He turned to look at me from his sitting position on the sand and said “ Look, Jamie I’m trying to do something very important here! I don’t need you yelling at me your only making it worse! Go back to sleep. I’ll just get apple juice.” This I hated. I hated when he told me what to do or when he even suggested anything. I hated it because then it affects my choice of free will. Ignoring his comment, I went to his side giving a sweet smile I hopped forward and backward on my toes, in the sand. Then I glowered at him and shoved him in the water. “ you know I hate being ordered around”. I said sadly, sort of regretting my reaction. Sebastian was my best friend the only one who understood me but I still treated him awful some times. When I was with him it was my escape form everything he would always be there when I needed him, if I didn’t piss him off at least. ever since I was ten I knew I had a crappy childhood. He’d helped me.

 My parents are rich high class entrepuners, investing in anything from airplanes to toothpaste. They were never around, they always had meetings half way around the world so I grew up with nannies. I had many, 16 by the time I was 12, I was mean and vindictive. I only wanted my mother not strangers, but life’s not what you want though is it? If it was no one would be in poverty or dead or single even. Nope we’d be perfect and clearly were not. Anyways, my mother would always leave instructions for me, things I had to do like piano lessons, tennis lessons, and play dates with potential clients or high class neighbors. I always had attended private school and then get a private tutor for French and AP classes. I had to be the best so when we had our annual celebration party they could brag to everyone about how special I was. I loved the gala’s they were marvelous, for one day I’d get my parents to pay attention and show me off which was as close to love as they could give me. The galas were held at the bear and view hotel, they had the best reputation. Inside the ball room was the biggest (and ugliest) chandelier ever. On the walls there were mirrors were outlined with gold trimmings, they had crown moldings form the ceiling to the floor, the rest of the walls were white with disoriented shapes painted gold all around. It had the prettiest marble floor though, white and gold with a hint of pink. But enough of the past let’s get back to the present shall we?

 My parents entered the police station; their eyes glanced over me as they asked where I was. They had been gone so long they didn’t even recognize me. We were escorted to the detective’s office so I could be questioned; everyone thought I had been kidnapped on account of my parent’s wealth. Their precious money is the reason they came to the police station. They thought someone was threatening to take it away. The interview started when an older African American woman stepped in. “hello Mr. and Mrs. Merada, I’m detective Walden”. “Hello” said my parents in unison with a monotone voice, both overlooking their blackberries, typing away at the keys. “We are here to ask Jamie some questions…” Silence, an awkward one. She cleared her through to get their attention to no avail. My mother just held up her pointer finger indicating to hold on. I looked at Mrs. Walden and nodded. She smiled at me with sympathy. “So Jamie what happened? Did someone take you? Did you know them?” said Mrs. Walden she had a deep voice for a woman. “no, none took me I ran away” I replied trying to hide smile as I saw Sebastian I hadn’t seen him since I pushed him into the ocean after our little fight. “Why would you do that?” Sebastian wanted to leave, he was bored of the city and Mrs. Camuy, (my piano teacher) so I took him to cloud nine.” obviously puzzled she asked me to describe my cloud nine. I had lied and told her that there were unicorns and we stayed in a beautiful dungeon and played with the pile of bones we found there. Didn’t want her to know the truth, were we went because it was my safe haven. I was questioned further and continued to tell my adventure with Sebastian. Somewhere along the way a physiatrist evaluated me and at ten I was diagnosed. Ever since then I had never been to another gala. I was sent to another home outside of Georgia. I was sent to Colorado to live in our private vacation home over there. It was just like a mental instution, except there was no one else there like me. No one my age. I was given pills. After they diagnosed me I didn’t see Sebastian for two years. He had left me.