Chapter Four: The Trick of the Draw

Castiel appeared shortly after his decision, and Sam and Dean were shocked to see Castiel look so desperate and angry. They were also extremely surprised about Castiel's appearance.
"What the Hell?" Sam exclaimed.
"How did you do that?" Dean asked. But a look of realisation came over him. "No, you're not a- a demon are you?" With that, Sam picked up his shotgun.
"Cas. Is that true? How could you? How could you lie, straight to my face?"
"Sam, you're not exactly the person able to talk." Castiel glared. "And no, I'm not a demon. But you're going to help me find him." Castiel's face was serious, and Sam and Dean found themselves unable to argue.
"But I thought you said-" Castiel interrupted Dean.
"It doesn't matter now." He sighed. "Come."
He exited the apartment, Dean and Sam followed him quickly, and with a feeling of anxiety.

They were outside, and Castiel stared at the impala, then seemed to make a few calculations and spoke.
"Drive to the nearest area that is uninhabited." Castiel got into the car after Dean and Sam. Dean started the engine and drove. "Can this get any faster?" Dean raised an eyebrow and grinned. He then out his foot down on the accelerator and they were driving at 165mph. Castiel had time to think to himself, seeing as they were in a town. His attraction to Dean was going to have to disappear of he was to do this. Destroying the demon would further reveal his powers, and he knew Sam and Dean would be frightened of the immensity of it. He felt odd after realising this. He realised it was sadness. He was feeling! How? He thought his kind could only do. Not feel and do. But then, how did Castiel know he was attracted to Dean if he couldn't feel?
When Castiel finally stepped out of the car, he found himself uncomfortable and confused. These feelings and epiphanies were completely new to him.
"Hey, Cas," said Dean, "Why are we here?"
Castiel shook his head and breathed slowly.
"We're waiting." Castiel informed. Sam gaped at him incredulously.
"Are you kidding? We're literally going to sit and wait for the demon that wants to kill us?"
"He doesn't want to kill us." Castiel said darkly. Then he suddenly shushed them and squinted around. He found what he was looking for. Mandus was standing roughly 30 metres away from them, and was glaring at them.
"Cassie," he mocked, "Did you finally tell them?"
"Tell us what?" Sam asked furiously. Dean frowned at Castiel. Dean had begun to have the impression that they didn't really know him at all.
"Ah." Mandus sighed, and he bent his head to the side in a pitying motion.
"What do you want?" Sam asked, Castiel had remained silent so Sam decided to act.
"The truth to be revealed." Mandus started to approach them, and Castiel readjusted himself so he was standing between Mandus and Dean. Sam was already behind them. Mandus laughed at Castiel's movement. "Really?"
"I will protect them, Mandus. It is my-"
"Duty? Job? Or orders?" Mandus interrupted. Castiel growled. "Tell them the truth, Cas." But as soon as Mandus had said 'Cas', he had realised he had taken it too far. Castiel ran at Mandus and launched at him.
"Don't-" Cas punched his gut, "Call-" Cas punched his neck, "Me-" Cas punched his cheek, "Cas!" And Cas finally lifted him up and placed a hand on Mandus' forehead.
"CAS, STOP!" Dean yelled, running at them. Sam briefly tried to grab Dean's arm, but Dean gave him a look of 'don't-you-even-dare'.
Castiel was smirking as Mandus screamed in pain when Castiel pressed his palm with more and more force. Mandus was writhing in agony, and Castiel knew this was wrong. He wasn't allowed to torture, only kill. But be couldn't stop, he wanted to continue hurting Mandus. He'd threatened his friendship with Dean and Sam. He'd beaten him and convinced him he didn't fit in. He even called him 'Cas'. Only Dean could call him that.
"CAS!" Dean shouted at the top of his lungs. Castiel heard him, and suddenly his body fell limp, and he dropped to the ground. Mandus wailed and fell to his knees too; he held his fore-head in pain.
"Cas?" Dean said, his voice was thick with anxiety. Why was he caring so much? He had only just met this man. And for one thing, he might not even be man.
"D-Dean." Castiel's voice was extremely quite. He didn't look at Dean as Dean walked over, but he felt a tear roll down his cheek. This startled Castiel. A tear? He was crying? This was the most human thing known, and he was doing it. What did it mean?
"I'm here, buddy." Dean smiled, and he crouched in front of Castiel.
"DEAN! LOOK OUT!" Sam yelled, and Dean whipped around to see Mandus for a brief second before he felt a sharp pain in his side. He yelped, the pain seared.
"NO!" Castiel and Sam bellowed. Sam ran to them, but Mandus swept him away with Demonic Telekinesis.