Chapter Four, Scene 1

"Ow! You're hurting me."

"I'll hurt ye, ya thankless brat. Where'd ye go when y'ought to be fetching firewood, eh? Went to the shore to look for drift ye said. Came home empty didn't ye?" Janice gave Alec's ear another twist and the boy's knees started to give, but he righted himself.

"Stop it Janice, he's but a boy," Beth shouted. She schooled her voice to soften, trying to sound businesslike. "Do you want to drive the customers away?"

The back of her stepmother's hand snapped Beth's head backward.

"The two of ye eat more'n y'earn me," Janice snarled, grabbing Alec's shoulder in a pincer grip.

"Stop it please, his back—" Beth reached out to pull Alec away, but hesitated to challenge Janice's iron grip. Her cheek burned from the assault.

If Janice knew what distracted Alec, she'd beat him far worse. "It was my fault. I saw him and distracted him. I—" Beth trashed about for an excuse.

Janice reeled on her.

"And what were ye doing? Displaying yerself to the fishermen? Or was it to the Americans? If ye think to sell yer wares, missy ye'll owe the coin back to me. Don't ever forget."

Shame washed through Beth. "I will never!"

"And mores the pity, Miss High and Mighty," Janice spat shoving Alec toward his sister. She opened her mouth to spew more venom, but an authoritative voice cut through the commotion.

"What is happening here?"

Beth spun to see Rob Thorpe in the kitchen door. When had he come in? She covered her burning cheek as if to hide the handprint she knew must be there. She pulled herself away from his scrutiny only to face Janice's speculative expression.

Was her stepmother considering a way to avoid his condemnation or to turn the encounter to her advantage? Beth couldn't say. Neither she nor Janice answered him. Alec broke the silence.

"Captain Thorpe!"

Beth groaned. If she did nothing Alec would beg him for a spot on the Molly Jane in front of his mother and bring both of them nothing but pain. She shot the captain a pleading look, glancing at her brother and back to him.

"Thank you again, for assisting my brother when he, er, fell," she improvised.

His brows drew down and she held her breath. Alec looked confused, but the thunderous expression on his mother's face kept him quiet.

"It was my pleasure," the man said at last watching Beth carefully. "I came to make sure the boy is safe." He shot a pointed glance at Janice before turning his heated gaze back to Beth. "You seemed upset, as well. I couldn't leave a lady in distress."

Janice looked from one to the other, eyes glittering. Beth couldn't bear to look directly at either one of them. She pulled Alec toward her in a one armed hug. "I'm well, as you see," she said, avoiding eye contact. "But I have the lunch to prepare, so if you don't mind..."

"Lunch is an hour off," Janice said. "And you well know I do the cooking." She gave Thorpe an arch look. "Beth's job is to see the customers satisfied."

A sharp elbow hit Beth's ribs. "This man's a customer, Elsbeth. See to his needs."

See to his needs. Her stepmother managed to squeeze meaning into the phrase that caused Beth's stomach to sink.

Janice ignored her. "You just take a seat, captain. Beth will fetch you what you need."

Captain Thorpe withdrew into the public room. Beth followed before Janice could say more. I'll fetch him ale, but if he expects more I—

She had no idea what she would do. Through the gloom, Thorpe looked back at her with troubled eyes.