Chapter 8 - New Beginings

"Mackenzie Marie Burges" My principal called out. I walked to her and shook her hand then turned to my parents (my dad had come home from competing yesterday) and gave them a big smile then looked over at Bella who was in line to be called out.
Ah grade 12 was finally over! It was time for an new beginning.

I sat through all the other graduate's names being called out, barely making eye contact when they walked past. Until Bella was called.

"Isabella Renée Willows" She skipped up the stairs with a massive smile plastered across her face, her ombré curls bouncing on her shoulders as she walked.
She collected her certificate and then came to stand between Tyler and I.
"Congrats Bels."
"Congrats Kenz" she shot back.
We smiled for photos and then went to our parents who were standing together. Bella and I laughed when we saw our fathers with tears in their eyes.
We were talking about taking some of the horses up to the cross country course around the corner when a I felt a tap on my shoulder.
I spun around to see familiar brown eyes looking down on me.
"Matt! What are you doing here!" I asked stunned.
"I came to see you graduate!" He laughed.
"Would I Be able to steal Kenzie for a bit?" He asked my parents.
"Sure." They replied.

I followed him to a bench out side under a tree.
"You look beautiful tonight." He said stroking my hair out of my face.
"Uh thanks? I wouldn't call this uniform 'beautiful' though!" I laughed.
We locked eyes. I had gotten over the feeling of talking to Matt a few days ago, but I don't think I'll ever be able to get over the feeling of being this close to Matt.

"Congratulations on graduating." He said before sealing the gap between our lips.
I looked up into his eyes, his soft breath against my neck
"Thanks." I pulled back into another kiss, this time even more passionate than the last one. I didn't want it to end. However my father did.
"Urg hm" Dad cleared his throat, making it clear he was there.
"Kenzie..." He interrupted "You are still at your graduation at your school can you not wait until you get home?!"
I could feel Matt remove his arm from around my waist and tense up.
"Sorry Mr Burges"
"Call me Chris, and it's ok just be aware of where you are you know what I mean?" Dad informed him.
"Where have you been!" Bella burst out from behind my dad, Tyler followed close behind.
"Uh...um" I struggled for words. "I'll tell you later."
"Okay!" She chirped "Tyler and I are going to go celebrate. See you later."
I shook images from my mind and looked over at my dad who was walking back to where my mother and Bella's parents were standing.
"I have to go Kenz, I have a shoot in half an hour." Matt ran to his car.
I was left standing there alone taking everything in.

|When They Got Home|

"Kenz Who is that?" Dad asked worriedly.
"Who's what?" I was confused.
I looked out the window to see Toby yet again thrashing on the ground. I raced out the car to try and get him up and walking.
"Who's is it?" My dad repeated this time more forcefully.
"It's Toby." My mum told him.
"I thought the vet came yesterday and said he was all good?" Dad asked confused.
"Well obviously not dad! Can you please make your self useful and call the vet? Again!" I called out.
I grabbed a rope and tried to pull him to his feet. After a few minutes of trying to get him up he finally heaved his body off the ground.

After walking around the paddock in circles for half an hour the vet finally pulled in the driveway. Leading Toby over to the barn I walked up to the vet and told her what had happened.
"He has very severe colic, we have to put an IV drip in his neck" The vet told us that there was a slim chance he would make it through the night.

I constantly watched him making sure he didn't lay down. At about 4:30pm Bella came into the barn completely oblivious of what was going on when she noticed Toby she Ran straight into his stall where I was seated. "What happened? I thought he was ok." She said very shocked. "He coliced again and there is a chance he won't make it through the night." I whimpered barley loud enough for her to hear. "It'll be ok. I'll be with you the whole time." Bella comforted me as I burst into tears.

I The Next Morning I

We had both stayed up all night watching Toby. Thankfully his condition improved over night, he wasn't 100% but he was getting there. "Want to go to the house and get breakfast?" I asked Bella "YES I'm starving" Bella stated as she got up and started walking to the golf cart. We drove up and made scrambled eggs, toast and smoothies. After eating we showered, got dressed and went to feed the horses.

Walking back into the barn we bought all the horses in for breakfast and checked on Toby. We walked towards the indoor arena to set up some jumps. We built a course set at 85cm and I tacked up Charlie while Bella tacked up Moose. We warmed up and then started with some smaller practice jumps then progressing to the larger ones. After a while I got bored and Charlie was jumping really well so I removed his bridle and did the course again. Charlie cleared the course easily and I heard clapping from the side of the ring. Bella and Moose were standing on the side of the arena and were now joined by Matt who was holding Chase.

"That was amazing!" Matt and Bella exclaimed "Thanks" I said as I moved Charlie into a walk and walked around to cool him off. As I exited the ring Matt asked if I would watch and video him ride, I quickly agreed and hurried of to untack Charlie.

AN: Hey, hope you enjoy this chapter! Not much to say really so stay tuned for chapter 9