epilogue

Peter

Peter couldn't remember a time that he'd been happier. It had been a few weeks since his first date with Alexandra, and since then they had gone on several others. He kept asking himself why it had taken him so long to figure out he wanted to be with her, but in the end that didn't matter. What mattered was he was with her now.

His escapades as New York's friendly neighborhood Spider-Man were also going well. His skills in Tony's suit were improving and he felt like he could take on the world all on his own.

He shot a web and swung from the top of a nearby building. Patrol was going well that day, so far there hadn't been any trouble, just how Peter liked it. He sat atop a building near his apartment building, just watching the city's skyline, content.

The peace didn't last long. "Peter, incoming call from Mr. Stark," Karen spoke up suddenly.

"Okay, put him through," Peter replied, sitting up a bit straighter before Karen patched the billionaire through. "Hey, Mr. Stark, what's up?" The young hero asked.

"Hey, kid. Where are you?" He asked. "I'm at your apartment, your aunt thinks you're in your room. Guess where you're not?"

Peter raised an eyebrow as he got to his feet. "Uh—I thought you could track me?" He responded, a hint of teasing in his voice.

"Just get back here, would ya? I've got to ask you something," Mr. Stark said.

"Okay, I'm on my way back."

🕷

Peter crawled through his window to find Mr. Stark sitting on his bed. "Hey, Mr Stark," He greeted. "What're you doing here?"

"I needed to talk to you about something," He replied.

"Is it Avengers related?!" Peter asked excitedly.

Mr. Stark grinned a bit and shook his head. "I thought you didn't want to be an Avenger?" He asked, referring to Peter turning down his offer several months prior.

"Well—I don't, but I still like fighting with you guys!" He replied. "It's still cool to say, 'yeah, I fought with Iron Man. Yeah, pretty cool, right?'" Peter smiled.

"Peter?" May suddenly called from the kitchen. "You're back, huh? Mr. Stark said he had something important to tell you!" Her voice was getting closer, and Mr. Stark visibly paled.

He turned to Peter. "Take the suit off," He said to him before going to stand in front of the bedroom door.

Peter furrowed his eyebrows. "What? Why?" He asked.

"Kid, just do it," Mr. Stark instructed. "You trust me, right?"

"Yeah, of course I do, but why do I need—" Peter tried.

May jiggled on the doorknob, but Mr. Stark was stopping her from coming in. "Peter? What's going on? Why is the door locked?" She asked.

"Sorry, May, hold on a sec!" Peter replied before looking at his mentor. "Mr. Stark let her in," He said cautiously.

"Take the suit off," Mr. Stark repeated.

"Why?"

"Peter?" May's voice came from the other side of the door.

Peter looked at Tony, suddenly very suspicious. "Tony?" He asked. "Why do you want me to take the suit off?"

Mr. Stark suddenly turned to him and whispered, "Because your Aunt doesn't know you're Spider-Man!"

Peter raised an eyebrow and stared at him. "What the heck do you mean she doesn't know I'm Spider-Man?! She saw me in the suit, you had to convince her to let me keep doing this!"

"Kid..." Mr. Stark trailed off, shaking his head. "The only reason your aunt let you continue to go out as Spider-Man is because I had Vision make her forget that you were even Spider-Man in the first place."

His eyes went wide and he stared at the man in front of him in shock. "... what?" He managed to get out before May ended up shoving Mr. Stark off the door and getting into Peter's room.

"Sheesh, I guess we need to replace those hinges..." May trailed off and saw Peter's suit. All three stared at each other for a moment before she looked at her nephew and then at Mr. Stark. "What the hell is going on here?"

🕷

Aaaaaaand that's the end of Hanging by a Thread! I hope you all enjoyed it, and yeah, I sorta kinda ended it exactly how Homecoming ended. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️ sorry not sorry.

Buuut I do plan to write a sequel sometime in the near future.

Also: DID ANYONE SEE BLACK PANTHER LAST NIGHT? CAUSE I DID AND O H MYGOD IT WAS AMAZINGGGG T'CHALLA IS A KING AND I FREAKING LOVE HIM.

~Mads