"Hm?"

"Do you have a partner yet for the dissection tomorrow?"

Her class will be conducting a dissection of dead chickens tomorrow, and Professor Ling decided they can all choose their own partners for this activity. Jeongyeon immediately thought of Nayeon, but remembered the other girl changed partners because of her not-really boyfriend.

"Not yet."

"Oh great!" Taehyung commented happily. "I still don't have a partner yet. Turns out we have no training tomorrow. Coach's giving us one day to catch up on academics and I only found out about the dissection tomorrow."

Jeongyeon nodded slowly, hoping she doesn't regret her decision. She doesn't have much of a choice though, seeing as she's the only one left without a partner. Besides, Taehyung might be a decent partner... but if she recalled correctly, Taehyung was one of the students who almost failed Science last year because he couldn't catch up easily like the other student-athletes. She shouldn't be picky. Anything for good grades.

"Alright. We can be partners. Just bring yourself tomorrow and we'll be fine for the dissection."

Taehyung put all of his weight on his left leg, suddenly looking amused. "Okay, okay. Uh—are you actually waiting for someone?"

"Nope. No, I'm busy."

"Busy doing schoolwork? On Valentine's Day?" He released a chortle, much to her annoyance.

With a little sass in her tone, she said, "yes. What's it to you?"

Taehyung shrugged lightly. "Nothing, nothing. Just a little confused as to why a pretty girl like you isn't spending her time with a special someone."

She rolled her eyes a little, about to respond when her mind caught up at his breezy complement. Wait. What?

It was as if something in her mind short-circuited.

The boy smiled and suddenly grabbed her hands. "Before I go—" he snaked something metal, small and cold in her hands. Jeongyeon's face scrunched into a face of wonder, though not weirded out by his behaviour. His smile broke into a full grin once she clutched the object.

He made a side glance at the two younger boys, Bambam and Jungkook. The former avoided his glance by pretending he wasn't just listening to their interaction just a second ago; the latter had a knowing smirk, however, his bunny teeth displayed.

Jeongyeon opened her hands to see what he gave, and that's when Taehyung bolted with a wave, dangerously drawing out his stare at Jeongyeon while he ran.

"Happy Valentine's Day!" He finally turned his head to the front, almost bumping into another student when he exited the lounge. Jeongyeon looked down.

A rose pin.

He gave her a rose pin. Pale pink and gold. On the 14th of February.

A thought dawned in her.

Blood and heat rushed up to her face, forcing her to ball up and cover her face with her hands. The tips of her ears and her nape were turning a pretty shade of red. That boy—! She took deep breaths and her face was scrunched into a funny expression, torn between something that said Did that just happen? and oh my god someone gave me something on Valentine's Day.

She released a shaky exhale and composed herself quickly. She glanced back at the rose pin in her hand, admiring its simplicity for a moment before pinning it to her necktie.

She pretended she didn't notice the lingering looks from the other students. After all, Taehyung's voice boomed his greeting to her like he was holding a megaphone.