Prologue

No one really knows how or when it all began, be it a witch's spell, a vampire's invention, or even destiny, all that matters is that it has become law.

A special kind of human, a Singer, is born to one out of every three vampires, and any vampire who is bestowed with one has a sealed fate.

The moment a vampire's singer enters the world, their undead heart will beat.

They will find themselves compelled to their singer, filled with a passionate need to be with them, to protect them.

The urge is impossible to resist, growing stronger as the singer ages, until the human reaches the age of their vampire when he or she was turned.

It is then that the vampire is given a choice.

They must turn their singer, or allow death to claim the human as the sun sets on that very day.

I banged my shot glass down at the table, not giving two shits about breaking it. The girl next to me jumped up and down excitedly, squeaking something about winning. I really didn't care. What I did care about, though, was the way her breasts were following her movements, jiggling up and down in front of me. Oh yeah, she was the flavor of tonight. This one was even legal!

I laughed at her happiness, as if I cared, making her believe I was actually a good guy. There really weren't enough bad girls in this world. Girls that didn't care about whether boys cared about them or not. I always needed to play the good guy, or compel them, to make them go out to the alley with me.

This one was no exception. But I had been working on her for an hour, and she seemed drunk enough for me to start taking her outside. Wonder if I was going to let this one live. Maybe. I wasn't really in the mood to bury someone tonight.

And sure enough, when I proposed we'd go outside, she followed me, giggling and holding onto my hand. I could feel her throbbing pulse in her thumb, as she rubbed it all over my hand, while whispering things she was able to do with her tongue. Oh well, it was going to be a fun night.

We reached the alley, her body now pressed to the side of mine, her lips forming a trail of sloppy kisses down my neck. I rolled my eyes, grabbing her chin harshly and made her focus on me.

"You are not going to make a sound."

I let my face change and reveled in the way my fangs shot through my gums, making me look exactly like the predator I was. I harshly moved her face to the side, revealing her pearly white neck, so ready for me to plunge into. The girl didn't say anything at all, exactly as I had compelled her to, but she did try to escape. She had obviously understood the fact that I wasn't just after sex. God, did this never change? Honestly, if you've just been told to not make a sound and you find yourself unable to do so, you should just give up. There's obviously nothing you can do about it.

But these girls never learn. It is the same shit every single time. If she would just relax, it wouldn't hurt that bad! It might even be comfortable for her. I could make it very comfortable, actually. But no, she just had to fight me, trying to get me away from her, as if I was some sort of plague.

Holding her back easily, I dove into her neck, not caring at all if I was creating a mess. Her heart was beating so quickly, making the blood flow even more free, right into my waiting mouth. I had decided on not letting her survive, which meant I was able to go wild - it had to look like an animal attack, to avoid any questions. I could dump her body off on my way back to that shitty little town I, for some odd reason, called home.