Life is Death is a part-time job

Hi there. My name is Rex Carlstein. I like to think that I am a perfectly normal teenager, living a perfectly normal life, with a perfectly normal family. But that would be wishful thinking. Let me let you in on a little secret... monsters are real (maybe that’s not so little). They live in society just like everyone else; being human on the outside, however behind the scenes there is another society, another kingdom. Of supernaturals. And you guessed it; my family is part of it. Where to start... there’s my mum, Lisa, who’s a succubus. You cannot imagine how embarrassing that can be. Then there’s my dad, Victor, he’s a werewolf. That’s why there’s a kennel in the back garden for when the moon is full. Next up is my older sister, Carla, she is a vampire. Since the day is dangerous for her she doesn’t go to school, it’s almost funny, she still gets told not to stay out too late, though that’s cos mum and dad are worried about the dawn. And last in the family is my little brother Sammy, he’s a green man. He’s a part of nature and he makes plants grow. He’s only in primary school and he spends most of his time in the garden. In case you hadn’t noticed yet, monsters reproduce quite strangely, well the reproducing itself is the same. It’s just that when monsters have kids you don’t know what kind of monster the kid will turn out to be... which is where I come in. Pride of my parents, hah, would you believe that out of the millions of monsters out there, I was born as Death. Yup that’s me, Rex Carlstein aka the Grim Reaper. I’m immortal (though I still seem to age), and I decide when people die. I can do a load of other things but to be honest it’s just a load of hassle. I’d rather just hang out with my mates, who are human (most of them). Unfortunately I can’t really escape the fact that I’m Death... so life is death is my part time job... till I finish school anyway. That is if I’m not killed first (though they don’t seem to understand that I can’t die) because the politics of the supernatural realm is complicated, very complicated. Let’s just say that some people aren’t too happy about me getting the rank of Grim Reaper that is on par with, and exempt from the rule of, the Royal Family. Yup, we have a royal family too. Still, life’s not that bad, even if you’re Death, so I can’t complain.