Chapter One

As I was walking down the hallway of Willow Creek high School, I saw them. They consist of the Upper Class division of the Village. In the small group, there was the beautiful yet mean Claire Dubois, the twins Daisy and Nathanial Moore, the clueless Duncan O’Shields, and the charming Kasey Algra.

Claire is the kind of girl that you would expect to be within the “popular” crowd at any high school, with her long blonde hair always styled to perfection, her crystal blue eyes, tall and thin frame with the perfect curves. Her wonderful wannabe friend Daisy – who’s about as cheerful as her name suggests, or not – is practically her twin with the exception of hair and eye color, for she has brown for both and is an inch or two shorter.

Nathanial Moore, he’s something else. He’s supposed to be the next leader of the Village once he finds his Soul Mate, and as soon as he can get his head so far out of his ass. He’ll make a great leader that’s a given, but his personality sucks. He’s extremely arrogant and cocky, but I guess anyone would be if they looked like every girl’s dream boy, as well as, having people running and tripping over themselves to do everything that you ask them to do. He’s extremely tall, at least six-foot four-inches, with a medium build – not an ounce of fat on his body only defined muscles, though not bulky – the most beautiful hazel eyes, and short dark brown hair that usually sticks up in the front.

Duncan was probably the most clueless person you could ever meet, sure he wasn’t necessarily a bad person, he’s actually kind of friendly, but he could very easily start to grate on your nerves after a while, with him insistent questioning on everything. He’s on the stocky side rather than tall, and had huge, defined muscles, with short blonde hair and light green eyes.

Kasey on the other hand is one of the sweetest guys I know he’s smart too. I wouldn’t say he was cute though, though mainly due to the fact that he was my closest cousin and that would be incest, but according to my best friend Murphy (and pretty much all the other teenage girls in the Village and school) he’s hot. He’s built a lot like Nathanial but has short black hair that is styled into a faux-hawk, and grey-blue eyes.

 Our people– Elementals, those who have the power to control the four main Elements –have what we call Soul Mates. Soul Mates, everyone knows what they are, but to us they are each other’s equal in everything, but they also balance each other out. They are the ones who were specifically made for you. In order to find you Mate, both must be at least eighteen years of age and the first time they see each other after their eighteenth birthday they feel an instant bond connecting themselves to each other. But the bond, when first formed is extremely fragile; the only way to strengthen it is to formally accept each other and to consummate the bonding. Either that or it can result in death; for your body will need it’s other half as though it needs food and oxygen. Generally people are able to guess who will be Mated to whom through the Village hierarchy. People who are stronger wind up Mated to Elementals of the Upper Class, and the weaker one to the Lower Class.

Everyone expects Claire and Nathanial to become Soul Mated because they are both the strongest Elementals our Village has that are of the same age – though Nathanial was already eighteen, everyone is waiting for Claire to turn of age – they are a part of the Upper Class. The Upper Class division is powerful Elementals that are basically the ones who control the Village, well besides our Leader. The Upper Class consists of Elementals of each Element except for Fire do to the fact that there are no longer any Fire Elementals since the Great Betrayal. The Great Betrayal was the day that the Fire Elementals tried to destroy all the Earth Elementals, which resulted in Fire Elementals being eliminated – or so the stories say.

Nathanial, our soon to be next leader, holds the powers to control both Air and Earth. He’s the first of the multi-element Elementals, which just proves that he’ll be very strong once he comes to his full power, which one receives after they find their Mate. Nathanial takes after both his parents; his mother is an Earth Elemental and his father in an Air Elemental. Generally now days, Village Leaders are either Air or Earth Elementals due to the fact that they are more rational and wiser. Daisy is an Earth Elemental, Claire’s a Water Elemental, as is Kasey, and Duncan is an Air Elemental. It’s actually fairly easy to figure out what Element an Elemental can control just by both their looks and temperaments. Generally, Water Elementals have dark hair and blue eyes, though some will have blonde hair as well, like Claire and they also have more of an olive complexion. Air Elemental tends to have light hair and eye color, typically green eyes with pale skin. Earth Elementals have brown hair and eyes or dark forest green eyes, but they tend to have more earthy tones going for them, pun totally intended.

Now would-be Fire Elementals, though they are no longer in connection with their Element, they still live in the Village. Usually though, they are looked down upon as disgraces, because everything in the Village is based upon strength of power, so they tend to be in the Lowest Class in the hierarchy. Ways to distinguish a “Fire” Elemental would be mostly by their hair, for it mostly represents flames. A Fire Elemental has fiery red locks and amber-like eyes. With their bright hair, it’s hard to blend in with the rest of the Village, and they usually become Mated to other Fire Elementals or other Low Class Elementals.

Every Elemental receives a Mark at the age of thirteen. Marks are basically birthmarks – that don’t appear at birth – they appear on an Elementals’ dominant wrist once their Element is registered, that is if you hadn’t gotten yourself killed by your powers or lost them – which happens more often than one may expect. The marks look like tattoos of weird symbols but they are actually the Old Language stating one’s Element.

**********************************************************

Nathanial, Duncan, and Kasey were all leaning against the lockers around Daisy and Claire chatting. Claire was busy running her hands on Nathanial’s chest as she and Daisy were talking to each other. Kasey had glanced over my way as I was walking past them and shouted my name, calling me over.

“Hey, Avery!” He had called; I walked towards him being careful to not look at the others around him, hugging my books to my chest. “I’m so sorry but I don’t think I’ll be able to give you a ride back home, I completely forgot that I had finish a project with Duncan.”

“Oh um…okay. That’s fine. Murphy was bugging me about coming over to show me something anyway. I’ll just go home with her than,” I smiled at him, and turned to continue on my way to my math class.

“Great, I’ll see you at home than later,” he called down the crowded hall.

“I still can’t believe that your related to such scum like her, much less have to live together.” Claire had said when she thought I was far enough away for them not to hear. “I mean, she’s the kind that puts our kind to disgrace, just like her parents.”

As I heard her say that last part, water started to gather in my eyes. My parents had died a little while ago after a house Fire had started, and they weren’t able to defend themselves, even though my father was a Water Elemental. He couldn’t use any of the water that was around to put the fire out because he didn’t have a strong control over water, and my mother was a power-less Elemental, in other words equivalent to a human. They had died because they were weak; they were part of the Lowest Class. Since I was only sixteen at the time, I was considered a minor so I had to move in with my closest living relative, which was Kasey’s family.

His mother was my mother’s sister, and she was a part of the Upper Class. My mother, Libby Donavan was born into an Upper Class family, but since she was born of the Fire Element, she didn’t have a power, so when she found her Soul Mate, he was in the Lowest Class. Her sister, Marcy, was a strong Water Elemental, and winded up Mated to another string Water Elemental, Logan Algra, and the Villager Leader, Mick Moore, best friend.

“Shut up Claire! She is not scum, no one is.” I heard faintly from behind me. I wasn’t sure who said it, but I do know that it was one of the other boys, because following that I heard Kasey say something about how awesome I was.

By now I was out of ear shoot and couldn’t hear what else was said. I continued on way to class when I was bumped into from behind, and went flying to the ground. When I looked up, I saw someone I least expected to see there.