"I'm good," I nod.

"I will be back," I walk out of the apartment and go towards the bank. I walk past the salon and the ladies smile at me.

"Hey, Poppy!" A few chimes. I smile and wave at them.

"Hey, Doris. Hey, Beth," I reply while still walking. Doris puts out her cigarette.

"Where is your hot friend, Miles?" I giggle.

"He's at home. He has some type of rash on his manhood and between you and me? It doesn't look that great," They both cringe at my words and I smile more to myself. I look forward to it and continue walking. "You are welcome, Miles," I mumble.

When I get to the bank and take off some money I put it in my pocket. I turn the corner for a store closer to the bank but farther away from the apartment. I get to a corner and wait until it says I can walk. I see Bernie on the other side talking to a few people. I smile as I walk up to him. He looks at me and his smile brightens up.

"Hey, Darling," He says.

"Hey, Bernie. How is the ankle doing today?" He shrugs.

"I haven't had much problems with it but I am old," I roll my eyes as I take out a fifty. I hold it up to him. He looks at it and looks back up at me. "I'm not taking your money, Poppy. You have already given me enough," I shake my head as I slide it in the small pocket on his car hart jacket.

"If I have the extra cash I will do with it as I please and right now I choose to help you out," He smiles warmly at me.

"Thank you, Darling," I nod.

"Don't miss out on those meetings," I say while continuing to walk to the store. He nods.

"I'm not," I smile.

Bernies is an old vet who served in the Vietnam War in 1955. He got into drinking after it ended and lost everything. His wife had died and he had no kids. He is homeless so I help him whenever I can. He is sweet and harmless.

I walk out of the store after buying three different tubs of Ice cream. I bob my head as I sing Life Changes by Thomas Rhett in my head. I turn down the sideway and run into someone. I hear them grunt. I hold my head for a moment before looking up at them ready to apologize. I look away from him.

"My bad, Poppy," He says.

"Yup," I go to walk around him when he grabs my hand. I snap my head at him. "Let me go or so help me god, I'll scream," He rolls his eyes.

"You are so dramatic," I snort as I pull my arm back.

"Dramatic is screaming for no reason. Now considering you hit me the last time I tried to talk to you? I think I am being reasonable," He snorts.

"You hit me first. Or did you forget?" I fold my arms with the bags still in my hands.

"You called me a whore. I had every right to slap you," He lets out a dry laugh while looking away from me.

"I was gone at Chelsea's house for the past three weeks," I nod.

"Who do you think called your sister?" He looks back at me with a narrowed gaze.

"Why the hell would you do that?"

"Because I had to use foundation to cover up the huge bruise you left on my face," I snap. He clenches his fists at his sides and I look down at them. "I see she helped you control your anger," I say looking up at him. He closes his eyes.

"I wanted to apologize for everything," He mumbles.

"Great. You apologized. You can leave me alone now," His eyes snap open while looking at me.