Chapter 8

Dea went home after rehearsals. She was now living with her mother as the doctor advised.

                There was no one yet in the house but her. Her mother and Gabby went in a field trip. They should be arriving any moment now.

She was so tired she dragged herself to the bathroom and took a hot bath. The bath was so soothing she felt like all of her good memories with Gabriel came rushing back to her. During times like this, she would hear a knock on the bathroom door and a voice saying, “Babe, I’m home.”

Dea smiled. She visualized his tousled brown hair, his expressive eyes, his toned body – not to skinny yet not too muscular, as well. She would then hurry to rinse off all the soap on her body, and put on her baby pink robe, Gabriel’s favorite.

But everything was different now. There was no more Gabriel waiting for her after she finished bathing.

She went out of the bathroom while drying her hair with a towel. Her eyes grew wider, and her feet were cemented to the floor when she saw a familiar figure. She blinked thinking she could be hallucinating like what her doctor said.

But the figure was smiling, and even welcomed her with a tight embrace. “I missed you, Babe.” He kissed her lips.

She was still shocked by the sudden appearance of Gabriel. “No. You can’t be real. No. You’re already dead,” she said with her eyes closed. The doctor could be right she might have gone insane.

Then she heard his harmonious laugh – the one that could make you imagine you were in heaven with the angels singing. “What’s wrong, Babe? How can I be not real?” he said, hands holding either side of Dea’s shoulders, and suppressing another laugh.

Dea didn’t reply. She still couldn’t believe he was alive and breathing. She didn’t know what got into her when she found her lips dancing with his, her legs encircling his sexy hips.

They moved like the scene was new to them. They were full of excitement, fire blazing inside of her she thought he felt the same. Then she was laid to the bed.

It was the best feeling; she felt renewed.

She opened her eyes to see her husband atop of her but it was Cassiel mounting her with his perfect white teeth flashing hand and his flaxen hair lying loose on his face.

Cassiel leaned in to kiss Dea’s lips but she pushed him hard but to no avail. He was strong.

                Then Dea awoke to a blinding light, so bright it took her a few seconds to make her eyes adapt. She found herself lying on the bed inside what looked like a ward. She examined the room, and saw the doctor she met the week before.

                The doctor smiled when their eyes met.

                Dea tried to smile, but felt it hard to do so.  Her mouth seemed to have had been deprived of water for so long and like she hadn’t been using it for a day or two.

                She looked around searching for Cassiel who was sitting on the couch by the window to the left. He was smiling at her, his eyes were like speaking to her telling, ‘Welcome back’.

                Her eyes widened at the sight of him. What’s that dream? Cassiel might be right about the effect of the pills they’re giving me.

                “Why am I and how long have I’ve been here?” Dea asked the doctor.

                She tried to remember what happened before she got there. Her mind was blank. She couldn’t remember anything but her body suggested that she’d been drained of energy.