Chapter 31: Back to Camp Half-Blood

Start from the beginning

“Ready?” Annabeth asked, shouldering her backpack.

I took one more last look around as the others nodded, “Yeah,” I murmured.

I noticed Annabeth looking at me while the others started walking in the direction of Dumbledore’s office. When I moved to follow them, she fell into step beside me. There was a moment of silence before she finally said, “This place has been amazing hasn’t it?”

“Yeah,” I replied, frowning a little. “It’s weird. Throughout my whole stay, I wanted to return to camp so badly … but now that we’re actually going back, I’m already starting to miss Hogwarts.”

“I know what you mean,” she said wistfully.

We fell into another comfortable silence. There was nothing else to say; we already understood what the other was feeling. It felt as though time had fast forward because the next thing we knew, we were standing in Dumbledore’s office, looking at the man himself.

“It seems that your time with Hogwarts has ended,” he said solemnly. However, I could detect the slightest glimpse of a twinkle in his eyes. “It is time for all of you to return to your home.”

“Thank you for allowing us to be here, professor,” Annabeth said gratefully. “Although it didn’t work out in the end, we had an amazing time.”

“I wouldn’t be too sure, Miss Chase,” he said thoughtfully, faint smile playing on his lips. “Just because it seems futile, does not necessarily means it is.”

Annabeth shot me a look, her eyebrow raised but all I could do was shrugged. If she didn’t know what he meant, did she really expect me to? That was a funny thought.

“Come, it is time for us to depart,” Dumbledore continued, tapping his wand on a cracked teacup.

“You – you’re coming with us?” Grover asked hesitantly.

“That is correct,” he nodded. “Gather around now.”

Shaking my head in resignation, I stood alongside my friends and laid my finger on the cup. Throughout the whole naval jerking process, I couldn’t help but let my thoughts wander back to Hogwarts, to the friends we left behind. Not that I was able to waste much time on that. I slammed into the ground approximately ten seconds later.

I got up and dusted myself off, looking around. To my surprise, we were standing right outside the Big House. I stared at Dumbledore, my mouth agape. How did he manage to pass the borders …? Upon noticing my gaze, he merely winked at me and swept into the Big House, shutting the door behind him.

“What …?” I looked at my friends, bewildered.

They merely shrugged their shoulders, looking as confused as I did.

“Welcome back,” Chiron’s voice suddenly said warmly.

I turned my head to see him standing on the porch of the Big House. There was a smile on his face, although it looked a little strained.

“Uh, our headmaster is in there?” Nico meant to state it but it came out sounding like a question as he pointed to the Big House.

“Yes, I know,” he said, glancing in that direction before turning back to us. “Now, you should go and freshen up. Dinner will begin shortly.”

With those last words, he turned and disappeared into the building.

“Well then,” Clarisse shrugged it off. “Later.”

The rest of us dispersed as well to our own cabins. Annabeth gave me a nod and a hug before heading to us, promising to meet up with me later.

After another glance behind towards the Big House, I strode back to my own cabin.

Third Person’s POV

Chiron entered the Big House, closing the door gently behind him before turning around. “Albus,” he greeted, nodding his head.

“Chiron,” Dumbledore returned the greeting, smiling. However, he soon turned serious once again. “It seems that we have made a mistake.”

“I agree, it didn’t work out as we hoped it might,” Chiron sighed. “I suppose you’ll be erasing their memories then?”

“Yes, I think this would be for the best,” Dumbledore said quietly. “The dinner for students and staff in Hogwarts has already been taken care of. I’ll be heading over to the pavilion later to settle the dinner for the demigods. Their memories of Hogwarts and wizards will disappear but it will be replaced with new memories that will make sense to them and will coincide with everybody else’s.”

“And Voldemort?” Chiron asked curiously. “Any other wizards who has ever met them?”

“Do not worry about Voldemort, that matter would be taken care of soon enough,” he replied. “As for the wizards, many do not know the truth so nothing would be a problem there. Those who suspect that they were not wizards would not know what they truly are either. The ministry does not even know that they were there the night the fight happened either. However, the Order would be having their memories removed as well, just in case. Only the two of us would know of the true situation by the end of this. I would be settling the matter with their family members as well, those of the demigods who were directly involved in this quest. I hope I am right when I assume that the gods know none of what happened?”

“No, they do not,” Chiron confirmed. “I have not been in contact with them, nor they with me. I doubt they have been keeping an eye out on their children as well. Communication has not been happening for a while.” There was a short pause before he continued, “All of this to avoid more trouble like James Hethon from happening again …”

“It has to be done,” Dumbledore said finally.

"What will happen to James and his mother?" 

"No need to trouble yourself over it. We will ensure that his mother will not remember even having a child. James however ... we will find a way to ensure that he will regain his innocence. We won't kill him ... unless there really is no other option," he murmured.

He headed for the door. “I shall now take my leave,” he tilted his head in Chiron’s direction, “it’s been a pleasure, Chiron.”

“To you as well,” Chiron said in farewell as Dumbledore swept from the house, his robes billowing around him. “Let us hope that this would end well for all,” he murmured.

Annabeth’s POV

Dinner was a raucous event. Each cabin was taking turns to burn their offerings as always. As I sat back down at my table, I glanced over towards Percy’s table. He and Tyson were talking animatedly although both of them still seemed a bit down. I guess that they were both missing Hogwarts. Tyson had made friends there and he was put out that he had to leave them behind.

I sighed, looking down at my plate. I missed them too. Being there at Hogwarts had been fun and although we couldn’t over look the dangers, I wouldn’t trade the time we had spent there for anything in the world. Then again, I thought, smiling to myself as I looked out at all the noisy demigods surrounding me, it feels great to be back home too.

Shaking my head, I stared back down at my food and picked up my fork, stabbing it into a piece of fruit and taking my first bite.