The Champion of the Emerald

Eric had remained with Courtney the whole night, all the while awake and holding her cold hand. By six o'clock, Henry had come back into the bedchamber along with Lord MacKavack and Marshal Tate.

'You may be dismissed Sir Eric' commanded Henry sternly, his hands behind his back, poised as if he held the upper-most authority in the kingdom.

The young knight ignored him, staring into Courtney closed eyes, trying hard to imagine they were open, filled with her vibrant happiness.

'You heard the chamberlain, lad' said MacKavack.

'And where were you, Lord MacKavack,' spat Eric bitterly turning to the trio beside Courtney's bedside 'When our Princess, you pupil, my peer and friend was raped and abused by the King?'

'Careful lad,' replied the Pictan lord 'While some of us may dislike the King Leopold but we still serve him, as do you'

'I am her Champion' remarked Eric looking back down at Courtney 'Nothing more, nothing less'

'You're a knight of Anglor too, and you serve the King,' rebutted MacKavack, 'now get your ass out before I kick it out'

Eric ignored him profusely.

'I deem it quite necessary,' began Marshal Tate 'That the boy be here to keep vigil over the Princess, and if he desires to remain so then I believe it to be fine by me. I can still work my magic with him by her side'

MacKavack nodded reluctantly, as the marshal opened large leather satchel and took out a vial of a sweet-smelling liquid. He pressed his frail the back of his hand upon her pale, sweating forehead, gauging the temperature through many years of experience.

'I'm afraid she has an acute fever' he announced 'Nothing a good rest and some warm beverages won't mend though'

Henry opened his mouth to speak but Tate was quicker.

'And yes she will be well enough to take part in the wedding' assured the marshal taking a damp cloth and cleaning the wound upon Courtney's forehead, a task Eric had done some hours beforehand.

'It's a nasty gash' remarked Lord MacKavack 'But nothing that can't be hidden by some fancy hair-do, eh Master Chamberlain?'

'I am certain of it, my good Lord' answered Henry.

Tate smiled quietly to himself as he laid a clean, damp cloth upon Courtney's forehead.

'Eric,' addressed the Pictan Lord 'I'll call for you in a few hours time. You'll get some rest and then we're training'

Eric nodded as MacKavack and Henry left the bedchamber.

'I'll be sending some maids in two hours time to redress Courtney and her wound, and to see if she wakes' informed marshal Tate packing up his satchel, leaving two vials of the sweet-smelling medicine beside the soup, placing them upon the bedside table 'Pour several drops of the blue vial into her soup when it gets here. It will help with the healing'

He got up from the bed and walked to the door.

'Try not to stay with her forever boy,' the marshal advised 'because she won't stay with you'

And with that Tate left the bedchamber.

* * *

Courtney woke abruptly somewhere about midday, drenched in sweat and breathing fast and heavily. She sat straight up in bed, looking around the room. Her bed-drawings were open and a light breeze was drifting through the open balcony. Eric sat, half-slumped, in Henry's cane chair, sleeping soundly. A bowl of warm soup sat on the bedside table along with several strongly-smelling vials.