( xii ) THOMAS

"HERE YOU GO, GREENIE

"HERE YOU GO, GREENIE." Victoria smiled kindly, handing a plate of stew over to the raven haired boy. Accepting it, he turned and followed Chuck to an empty table. The youngster scoffed his food immediately, whilst the boy ate what he could, still feeling nauseous from coming up in the Box.

He stiffly looked up when another figure sat down beside Chuck, remembering the boy's name was Newt. "Hey," The Greenie spoke in order to catch his attention. Newt looked over at him expectantly. "Why haven't I seen any other girls?"

"Because there aren't any. Tori's the only one here," The blonde answered, shoving another mouthful of stew into his gob.

"Why would they send up all these guys and then one girl?" The boy couldn't make sense of it. "We don't know," Newt sighed heavily, "But I'm sure glad she's here."

"Yeah, Vic's awesome," Chuck added with a toothy smile, his cheeks blotchy and red, "She's just as strong as any of these shanks, I'd say even more."

"How so?" The Greenie looked between the two boys in front of him.

"Look, Victoria's been through a lot since coming here. None of it is our place to say, and I wouldn't ask her about it. They're still fresh wounds," Newt informed him carefully, "But she deserves the bloody world, she does."

"Aw, you're such a sweet boyfriend," Chuck cooed teasingly, making the blonde ruffle his mop of curls playfully.

"So are you two a thing?" The Greenie raised his eyebrows, glancing over at the girl who was still handing out food.

"Not officially—"

"They're basically a couple," Chuck cut him off quickly, "Always cuddling and holding hands."

"Chuck!" Newt scoffed, shaking his head and internally sighing. That comment immediately took him back to last week, when he and Victoria almost kissed. If Minho hadn't interrupted their moment, it probably would've happened. He was so close, he'd never wanted anything more.

Maybe he did want her to be his girlfriend. Maybe he did want her to officially be his. In such a dangerous world they lived in, they couldn't afford any regrets. And if he didn't do something about his feelings soon, maybe it would eventually be too late.

"Earth to Newt!" A hand waving in front of his face popped his bubble. "Sorry, what?" He blinked, noticing both of the Gladers staring back at him knowingly. "See? I told you. Always thinking about her," Chuck giggled at the Greenie.

▃▃▃▃

EVERYBODY CHEERED as the bonfire had fired up and Gally's concoction was being passed around. Victoria was sat with her back against a log, her beverage between her hands. She sighed in thought, wondering what her life was like before the maze. Did she live with both parents? What were they like? Did she have any siblings?