i. the start of it all

"We aren't taking any photos until Michael gets here." Vito's scruffy voice is heard around the corner. I stood with Dianne away from the cameramen. If anyone were to recognize me, I would be shot in an instant.

"Wine?" Dianne offered, holding out a glass with the sparkling, red elixir. I shrugged and took the glassful. We made our way to an empty table to sit and chat, judging guests as they strolled past us. I kept my black veil on for safekeeping. I had discovered if I dressed in bright colors with a dark veil, not many would recognize me.

There were many people at Connie's wedding, but this was normal for any mafia family. She didn't know me, but I knew everything about her. Her father Vito, otherwise known as the Godfather, did favors and the needed justice for the community. He was a well-known man, kind if you were gentle and loyal, but the deadliest man ever if you crossed him wrongly.

My father, Emilio, and Vito used to be friends way back before either of them had popular names in the community. Vito claims my father turned against him, and almost cost Vito his life. My father said Vito used him to get to his higher authority among the public.

Anyways, back to reality. Dianne and I sat in the heat, watching. Noticing. I took mental notes of everything going on. I knew the groom, we courted once but my father ended it when his actions were exposed. Connie was a fair young woman, protected by the men in this ravenous family. Her dress expressed her personality, not too shabby. I saw a larger man sitting in the corner, reciting something to himself. I couldn't decide if he were mad or just simply nervous. A man in a tweed suit walked past, locked arms with a woman. He was a marine, fought in a recent war. He had a natural tan tint to his skin. His appearance hinted organization and other proper qualities. The woman he had locked arms with was obviously his lover, they haven't been together long and they seemed unhappy together.

I left Dianna at the cloth covered table and kept my distance behind the lovely marine with his Sheba. They sat at a two-person table, so I made my way to a nearby area. Before I knew it, I bumped into Vito himself. My Godfather...

"Excuse me Signora. My mistake." Vito turned and apologized. He walked on to a what seemed like a cabin with men following behind.

I let out a sigh of relief and began to sip my wine. I stood, glaring at passerbys.

"Miss, may I get by?" A man's voice came from behind. Not old, yet not extremely young. 20s.

"Pardon me!" I exclaim as I turn to look the man in the eyes. My eyes flutter up, making contact with the dark orbs of the marine. I blush, swirling the wine in my hand.

"I'm Maria-Grazia." I introduce myself hoping to catch his attention.

"Michael. A pleasure to meet you Maria-Grazia. Do you know Connie?" He kisses my hand gentlemanlike and makes conversation.

"To be honest I have not met her, a friend of a friend invited me." I look down, hoping to not be thrown out.

"Which friend?" Michael's silky voice asks.

"Dianne," I answer his question and glance over to guide him to her.

"Dianne is a lovely woman. Great friends with Connie." He states, glancing me up and down.

"Well, by your appearance I can assume that you are a marine. Yes?" I flirt smiling.

"I am. I returned home yesterday. My father told me to come here in my uniform." He tells me humbly.

"Who is your father?" I ask, wanting to know more of him.

"Vito-"

"I was wondering where you went, Michael! That man in the corner was beginning to frighten me with his repetitive recitation." His lover interrupted, grabbing his arm. Making me know that he was hers.

"Kay, this is Maria-Grazia. We just met." Michael introduces me, so I smile politely and shake hands with Kay.

Kay sneers at her after shaking hands, I could sense her fear of intimidation. She began to talk to Michael.

"Michael, why won't you ever tell me about your family's business?" Kay asked pitifully. She tugged on him as if she were a schoolgirl tugging at her father's pant leg for attention.

"Kay, this is not the time to discuss such matters. Plus you know that I will never be involved with my family's business." He stated impassively.

"Maria-Grazia it was kind meeting you, I hope you enjoy the rest of my sister's wedding. I have better make my way around to see the family." He smiled once more and tipped his hat. In my thoughts, I would have never guessed this man to be apart of the Corleone family. He was so compassionate and came across as another average man who fought for his country.

This man, Michael Corleone, would either become the man of my nightmares or the savior of a fued.