Chapter 2

Theresa was so excited by the news of her pregnancy that she decided to head over to the Crane mansion to tell her mother the good news. On the way over, her cell rang. It was Dr. Copley. Theresa let it go to voicemail. Her only thought was telling her mother, Pilar, the good news.

"Theresa, this is Dr. Copley. I need you to come into my office as soon as possible. I have some news about your examination yesterday. It is important you make an appointment with me as soon as possible. I'll look forward to hearing from you."

Theresa pulled up to the drive at the Crane mansion where her mother still worked as Ivy Crane's housekeeper. Pilar quit for awhile, but went back because after all the years she worked as the housekeeper, the Crane's were like family. When Pilar came back, Ivy promoted Pilar's position as head of the household staff. She managed the staff complete with full set of benefits to support Pilar for the rest of her life.

Theresa found her mother in her office that Ivy personally had set up for Pilar.

"Mother, I have some great news." Theresa told her mother.

"What is it mija?" Pilar asked.

"Ethan and I are going to have another child." Theresa exclaimed.

"Oh, mija. I'm so happy for you?"

"Me too. Ethan have been desperately trying since we married."

All of a sudden, Theresa felt dizzy, like she was going to pass out. She grabbed the chair in Pilar's office and sat down.

"Mija, what's wrong? You look so pale?"

"I'm fine, mother. I just forgot to eat something before I came over here. I'm sure it's nothing. Just excitement from all the wonderful news." Theresa said, trying to be reassuring.

"Well, mija, you don't look so good. Let me get you something to eat."

Pilar left Theresa in her office resting in a chair while she went to the Crane kitchen to get Theresa something to eat. When she came back ten minutes later, Theresa was passed out, not responding to her pleas to wake up. She immediately called 9-1-1 to have EMTs dispatched to the Crane mansion and take Theresa to the hospital.

The EMTs arrived within ten minutes to Pilar's call. They placed assessed Theresa's condition and radioed Harmony General Hospital of Theresa's condition. Pilar informed the EMTs that Theresa was pregnant, but didn't know how far along as she just found out the news a half hour ago. The EMTs placed Theresa on a gurney and into the ambulance. Pilar accompanied Theresa in the back of the ambulance along with an EMT attendant to monitor her condition.

As soon as Theresa was wheeled into the Harmony General, Dr. Copley was alerted. She ran to the ER right away. She had to inform the doctors in the ER the news of Theresa's condition. Damn, this is not the way she had wanted to tell Theresa about her examination, Dr. Copley told herself.

As soon as Dr. Copley told the ER physicians about Theresa's condition, they administered they did what they could to keep Theresa stable. Then they wheeled her into a private room until she regained consciousness. Dr. Copley told the nursing staff to alert her pronto as soon as Theresa woke up.

Dr. Copley knocked on Theresa's door as soon as the nursing staff alerted her to Theresa waking up.

"How are you feeling, Mrs. Winthrop?" Dr. Copley asked Theresa.

"A little weak." Theresa told Dr. Copley. "I'm sure it's just because I didn't eat anything this morning."

"Theresa, I'm afraid I have some bad news about your current condition. I left you a voicemail this morning as soon as I got the news of your examination."

"Yeah, I got the call. But I was just so excited about my pregnancy, I was on my way to tell my mother."

"Well, when I got the news of your examination yesterday, it revealed some disturbing details."

"What is it, Dr. Copley? It's not serious, is it?"

"I'm afraid it is." Dr. Copley tried to calmly inform her. "Theresa, you have cancer."

"What?!" Theresa asked, shocked. "I have cancer?"

"Yes, and I'm afraid you won't be able to carry this baby to term."

"I can't terminate this pregnancy, Dr. Copley. It's goes against everything I believe." Theresa explained. "Ethan and I have wanted this baby for since we got married."

"I'm sorry to have to tell this to you, Theresa. This is not the way I wanted to tell you. I was hoping you would be coming into my office."

"It's not your fault, Dr. Copley." Theresa assured her.

"Well, I'll leave you alone to figure this out."

"Thank you, Dr. Copley."

Dr. Copley leaves Theresa in her hospital room. Theresa is saddened by the news. She just has to have this baby. There has to be a way to carry this baby. She can't terminate this pregnancy. She vows to keep the news of her cancer secret from Ethan and her family.

Meanwhile, Pilar has informed Ethan of Theresa being admitted to the hospital, as well as Luis and Fancy and Piloma and Antonio and Sheridan. Ethan leaves his practice to visit Theresa in the hospital.

Theresa wipes the tears from her eyes when she hears a knock on her hospital room door. Ethan enters and Theresa puts a bright smile on her face as she puts on a brave front, intending not to tell him the sad news.

"Hey, love, Pilar just gave me the news. I had to leave work to come see you." Ethan said as he entered her room.

"I'm so happy to see you, Ethan." Theresa says, happy to see him.

"It isn't the baby, is it?" Ethan asks, worried.

"No, dear, everything is okay." Theresa lies. "I just forgot to eat breakfast this morning. I wanted to tell my mother the good news about the baby."

"Oh, that's good." Ethan says, relieved.

"I just need some rest and an adequate diet."

Just then, Luis and Fancy comes in after hearing the news from Pilar.

"Hey sis, we just wanted to come see you. Mother told us the news of your pregnancy. We're so happy you and Ethan are having another baby." Luis says.

"Thanks Luis and Fancy. Everything is okay. I just didn't eat breakfast this morning. I left to tell mother the news and forgot to eat anything." Theresa lies again.

"Thank goodness you're okay." Fancy tells her, giving her a hug.

After visiting for a half an hour, Luis and Fancy leave Ethan with Theresa. Pilar brings EJ by as soon as he is out of school, when she tells him his mother is in the hospital. Pilar tells EJ that his mother is okay. They just want to tell him some good news.

"Hey mom. Dad." EJ tells Ethan and Theresa when he enters Theresa's room.

"EJ, how was school?" Theresa asks him.

"It was okay." EJ informs his parents. "Grandmother tells me you too have some news."

"Yes, EJ. You're going to be a big brother." Theresa tells him.

"You're having a baby!" EJ says, excited. "I always wanted a baby brother or sister. I never thought it would happen."

"Well, you got your wish, EJ." Ethan says.

"One big happy family." EJ exclaims. "All our dreams are coming true."

Theresa smiles as she spends the afternoon with her husband and her son. She continues to put up a brave front, neglecting to tell them the bad news. She doesn't want to ruin their happiness. Everything will be okay. Fate will make all this okay, Theresa tells herself.