K: Chapter Seven

Katherine: Chapter Seven

If you love somebody, let them go. If they return, they were always yours. If they don't, they never were.

I looked around partly confused. I was thinking that Madeline would come up to me today and rub her amazing date in my face.

That thought of them having an amazing date made my chest tighten a little, but I ignored it because I knew that someone as beautiful as the prince would not be interested in me.

But Madeline was perfect for him. Sad thing is, she never came back last time. And I haven't seen her this morning. It made me wonder is something was wrong, if something bad happened.

I shook my head while trying to remove those thoughts, all the while walking aimlessly around the castle. They did say we could go where ever we wanted, and my main thought was the library, or maybe a garden.

The garden is where I ended up though.

After wondering around for about ten minutes I managed to get into a room, at the opposite end of the room there were glass doors that lead to a pathway full of flowers. I saw it and became mesmerized at all of the white roses growing there.

A tear slipped out of my eyes as I walked to the glass door, careful to quietly open it. I stepped out onto the fresh grass and ran to the rose bush, smiling as I came closer, inhaling the beautiful scent.

The scent that would usually fill my house because of my mother's obsessions with these flowers. It brought back so many memories. Like this one year, on my parent's anniversary, my papa bought my mom five white roses. Mainly because he couldn't afford too many, the roses are pretty expensive.

He came home that day with a huge smile on his face; I was in the living room reading a book when he entered. My mom walked into the living room, about to scold me for not my finishing my chores when she saw my papa standing by the door, roses in hand.

Her eyes watered as she walked to hug papa.

"They smell beautiful don't they?" I heard someone say, breaking through my memory.

I shook my head while trying to think straight.

I turned my head to where the voice came from; I couldn't help the weird feeling that crept over me as I watched prince alexander smiling at me while smelling a white rose.

He almost seemed normal, almost.

"Good morning Prince Alexander." I said while bowing, keeping my head low trying not to look him in the eyes.

I could hear him sigh before speaking again.

"You have no need to bow while we are alone." He said while walking around me.  "In fact...I would prefer it if you didn't." He said in a low voice.

My heart melted at the sound of his voice, not because it was completely manly and musical, but because of the sadness laced between every word.  How could someone, especially a prince, be sad. He has everything. An amazing castle, home, money, servants. Things so many people wished for.

But why was he unhappy.

My papa always said never judge a book by its cover, I'm guessing this is what he meant.

I rose from my bow and smiled at him, "Well either way, good morning Alexander." I said with a small blush on my cheeks.

I've never been much of a flirt. I've never even actually had genuine feelings for anyone. I've never dated, and I've never had my first kiss. My life had revolved around my house work, and my books. Nothing more, nothing less. So having the attention of a man as amazingly beautiful as this made my heart race, and my palms sweat.

"Good morning Katherine." He said while smiling at me.

My heart skipped a beat at the sincerity of his smile.

I scowled at myself, reminding myself to keep my feelings in check. Someone like him would not have feelings for someone like me. If he wants to marry and find love, he is better of marrying a princess.

"How are you this lovely morning?" I asked while bringing my attention back to the roses, remembering that the scent was completely consuming me.

Lovely.

"It's better now." He said while smiling at me, but I ignored it. "Why are you out here?" he asked me.

I suddenly felt myself panic, was I not supposed to come outside. I know the king said I could go where ever; but did that only count the castle.

"I'm sorry, was I supposed to stay inside?" I asked him nervously.

I looked up at him as he started to chuckle, I subconsciously puffed out my cheeks as I stared at him. His laughter sounding so lovely. It seemed to me like he never laughed, maybe all of the pressure he has makes him seem grumpy.

"No, I don't think my parents would mind. That is unless you try to run away." He gave me a worried look. "You weren't planning on running away right?"

I chuckled this time.

"No, that is not what I had in mind." I said while picking a petal off of a rose. "Although, that idea kind of sounds appealing now." I said while bringing a rose to my nose and smelling its sweet scent.

His eyes widened as he stared at me, making me laugh again.

"I'm just kidding Alex." I said while remembering the fact that my sister and I had nicknames, or shorten names for everyone.

"Alex..." I heard him say to himself.

That's when it hit me. "Oh my gosh, I am so sorry alexander, I wasn't thinking and-"

"Actually" he said while cutting me off. "I like it"

He smiled at me again, making it seem like the world around us didn't exist. He was suddenly becoming something special to me. I don't even know him, but the way he smiles, the emotion shown in his eyes. All of these things make me feel like I know him.

"I'm sorry, it was rude of me not to call you by your full name prince Alexander." I said while looking at the ground.

He stepped near me, but making sure to keep distance between us.

"It's okay, you may call me Alex, it makes me feel somewhat normal." He said in a happy-ish tone. He never sounded like he was genuinely happy.

It made me wonder why.

"Ok then A-Alex." I said while looking away from him, knowing that I was probably blushing.

"Please look at me" he asked somewhat pleading.

Something in his voice made me snap my head up towards him. His eyes looked sad, they held so much sadness it kind of made me want to hug him. But the thought that we cannot touch the prince and made me wonder why.

"Katherine!" I heard someone yell to me. I turned to find belle at the door staring at me with a worried look.

"What's wrong?" I asked her while turning to her. "Excuse me alexander." I said while bowing before running to Belle.

"what happened?" I asked her franticly.

Her eyes held fear as she told me. "She's gone. They said she broke the only rule and now she's gone."

i shook my head trying to understand her rushed words. "Who's gone?" i asked her nerbously.

"Madeline."

My blood went cold at that thought. But i felt completey confused as i looked out of the glass doors towards where Alexander was walking away, a white rose in hand.

what happened durring their date.