Chapter-33

Erwin's P.O.V.

"Mother, its already been two days. I want you to set her free, already."

As soon as I reached mother's chamber, I put forth my demand. Mother, however, decided not to listen. It had always been like this. Either we follow her, or we choose to face her wrath.

My mother was a lovely woman. I believed she still was. Defying her or such, these thoughts never crossed my mind until I betrothed Stella.

She never favored Stella. I could figure this thing, the least.

Imprisoning, however, was going beyond the limit. Especially for something, Stella wasn't liable for. That poor girl had no idea what was happening; she was startled with the turn in event. How could she explain it to other?

As a king, I couldn't afford to look biased. Especially when I was new in the rein and I didn't possess much power. I had to win the courts' favor so that I could overcome from my mother's shadow. Time, however, wasn't in my favor. It made me choose between two things that I didn't want to lose the most.

"Mother," I amplified my tone and glided away from the door. I walked around the chairs and took the three steps stair which lead me toward the window. My mother stood there; staring outside.

"Mother, I know you heard me." I pleaded, "Help me."

She slide her hands on the window's frame and brush away those snow-flakes. She then brought up the hand and said, "It's too cold."

"Pardon?" I was puzzled. I couldn't get what she was trying to indicate.

Mother pulled a hander kerchief form her pouch and wiped her hand. I followed her action, in detail. She wasn't pleased with my presence; she was angered with the wish, I put forth.

Mother, however, remained calmed. She expressed no emotions. Her eyes looked as cold as ever. Those cold eyes stared at me as I got puzzled. Then, she decided she wanted to walk over to the fireplace. I too, decided to follow her.

Few moments later, I stood right beside her with a minimal distance. I looked at her back, that looked stern as ever. It made me realize, she had lived through hell; that it was expected, she would look this way.

As I scrutinize her moment and sought the best time to plead again, she threw the handkerchief to the fire. That handkerchief burnt vigorously, leaving no trace but the gray ashes.

As that piece of cloth burned and perished, she turned to me, and said,

"It's too cold to fall in love."

I was taken back by her words.

"Can't you learn? This palace isn't somewhere you can fall in love. It isn't a paradise. This is a hell." She paused and took a step.

"Do you think I will give up after I sit above this hell?" She gave me a smug smile.

"This is your punishment. Learn. After all, pain is the only path to thrive." I could never understand how she could spat cruel and bitter words without any hesitation.

"Mother.." I whispered but decided to add nothing.

It was time to stop. It wasn't time to plead. I had to do something before that dungeon would engulf Stella alive.

It was I and mother, who stood against each other. The court was just a façade. It was part of mother's scheme. She wanted the court to stand against me so that I would obey her.

Maybe mother was right. Being by Stella's side wasn't the right choice. I shouldn't have defied mother.

"Tell me, what do you want from me?" I said, "everything else but not the marriage."

She widened her eyes and chuckled, "You know what I want."

"No." I repeated.

Her smile vanished in that brief moment and her fierce gaze were asking me to get out of her sight. Mother, however, showed me her calm side again. She walked past me, without a word. She showed no interest to my offer neither she bore mercy on Stella.

At this point, I knew. I had only one choice. This offer, I believed, mother would gladly agree.

"Here is a deal. Mother shall set Stella free and I promise, she will remain far from the palace and us."

She stopped as she heard my words. She stood still for a while and turned around.

"So easy." She chuckled, "In this case, I have a deal too."

In the Dungeon...

My arms were locked around her waist.

Oh, how tiny her waist was?

It had me shook. I was always aware how thin she was. But wrapping my arms around, I could understand it; I could feel the depth of her sadness. Had I been focused on her happiness than in her well being, maybe her sadness wouldn't have carved her so hollow.

I didn't deserve her arms that wouldn't let go of me. Her embrace that was filled with love and kindness, they weren't meant for me.

Her face and eyes had lost its charm; that spark which I adored. Her eyes had become as dead as when she entered the palace for the first time.

Why did I feel guilty since the first time I meet her?

Probably because I knew the turn in fate? Or maybe because I betrothed her without an ounce of love? But the guilt deepened once I become attached to her.

This guilt, however, was rooted deeper than those swallow reasons. I was ashamed because I wasn't there when she needed me. I was ashamed of being helpless when she gave up her life on me.

Where should I start? How should I start? So that people would believe me, how should I express myself?

In uncomplicated words, I was scared to acquaint that fragile red head even before I met her. I hoped that this fragile girl, who haunted me every other night, was just a dream.

I wished I would never meet a read head in my life; it was a mere wish.

Tell me, will you want to meet her if you have memories of her thousands death? Especially, when you helplessly witness her die every time?

XOXO I just love you all. I read all of your comments. When I post the previous chapter, I was only trying to tease y'all. But you all are good. Trust me, I was scared I would spill the suspense in this p.o.v. (which I did in some level) and like some of you said, spilling all the suspense wouldn't be that fun, right?