Five

I wasn't a fan of adulting; it scared me to think that I'm a grown up but at the same time, compared to how I used to be, I was glad that I was becoming more and more mature

I wasn't a fan of adulting; it scared me to think that I'm a grown up but at the same time, compared to how I used to be, I was glad that I was becoming more and more mature. Thinking about the person I was, even two years ago, made me cringe. It was as if I was a completely different person before. There are times when I stop and think about how and why I changed and I can pinpoint it to an exact moment- January the first, twenty-sixteen. 

It was the day Sophie Clément came into my brother's life. That shouldn't have really impacted on me, except for the fact that it did. Before then, Dan and I weren't close and I was always looking for ways to lash out at him, often doing some things that I'm too ashamed to admit to. Then he met Sophie. It no joke when our sister, Evelyn, says that Sophie was the glue that fixed our family and while it may be odd to say that my sister-in-law was the woman who changed me, that's the truth. 

Without her, Dan and I wouldn't have found a way back to being brothers after years of being at each other's throats; my family wouldn't be the unit that we are; I wouldn't be the person I am today. I certainly wouldn't have met Charlotte and hse's my best friend. And if I had met Martha back then, I wouldn't have stood a chance. I owe Sophie a lot. 

But I draw the line at babysitting her daughter on Valentine's Day. 

"But Sammy," she whined as she tried to force Léa into my arms. While I love my niece very much, I draw the line at sacrificing mine and Martha's first Valentine's together just so she and Dan can go out. "Please. You have to look after her. She won't bother you at all because since she had the grommets put into her ears, she's been a lot less grumpy than she used to be. She even sleeps through the night. It's bliss."

I shake my head. "That doesn't change my mind, though," I say. Looking at Léa, she flashes me a toothless smile and lets out a sweet hah sound that has me cooing over her in a nano-second. When I spot Sophie watching me with an arched eyebrow and a cocksure smirk, I drop the baby talk and add, "This doesn't mean I've changed my mind." 

Sophie, however, wasn't having any of it and was soon giving me all the reasons that I should babysit Léa, including how I would be dismissed as her Godfather. I told Sophie that it didn't bother me since I'm already her uncle and that means more than being Godfather. She was on the verge of trying a different tactic when my phone chimed with a text from Martha.