[ III. levi king ]

CHAPTER THREE
LEVI KING

CHAPTER THREELEVI KING

•••

The next morning, the storm had blown itself away and Verena had woken up fresh with a craving for the juicy, red apples that grew on a lonesome tree at the edge of the Great Lawn. Sure, she could've just grabbed an apple from the piles of food that lined the breakfast table, but something about biting into the delicious fruit was simply more exciting when she picked it from the tree.

In a matter of minutes, Verena found herself shrouded in the shadow of the apple tree. With a soft grunt, she latched her arms around the lowest-hanging branch and hoisted herself up with one hand extended towards the brightest looking apple and the other pushed against the rough bark for balance. Her fingers had just closed around the fruit when a loud voice called out, "Verena!" and caused the girl to lose her careful grip on the tree. In a blur, Verena toppled to the ground disheveled, but with the apple still clutched tightly in her hand.

"Shit!" The Diggory girl cried out as she dramatically attempted to catch her breath. She looked up to see her older brother staring down at her with an amused smirk plastering his face.

"I thought you knew how to climb trees," he smugly commented as he wrapped his hands around his sister's outstretched ones and pulled her off the ground.

"I was doing just fine until you decided to sneak up on me!" Verena indignantly huffed in response. Her hands swept the expanse of her thighs where her skirt had slightly ridden up and a pointy piece of bark had pierced her skin. With a sniff, she swiftly pulled the piece of wood from her leg and watched as a droplet of black blood pooled at the wound.

Cedric inhaled sharply at the sight. "You have to be more careful, Ver. What if someone had seen that just now?"

"Tergeo!" Verena pointed her wand at the soft spot on her thigh; the scrape, along with the dark blood, was gone in mere seconds. "Well, we don't have to worry about that now, do we?"

Cedric narrowed his eyes at his sister's reckless behavior. "How do you think everyone at Hogwarts would react to finding out you bleed black blood? You know what mum and dad always say—"

"Yeah, yeah, I'm never allowed to 'let anyone see me bleed," Verena finished her brother's sentence. "My blood is just a simple glitch in our magical bloodline. I'm just like you and everyone else— it's not a big deal, Ced. No one else at school knows and I'll make sure it stays that way, alright?"

Cedric started again, "But you really ought to—"

"Oh, for god's sakes, stop being so dramatic! You're not my mother, Cedric!" Verena frustratedly groaned as she bit into her apple and began stomping her way back to the castle. Cedric rolled his eyes at Verena's stubborn nature but shook off his concerns and jogged to catch up with her quickly retreating form.