Chapter 16

Chapter 16

       As soon as my bedroom door creaked open, I woke up from my sleep knowing exactly who was there. I sat up and rubbed my eyes to get a clear sight, and I saw Xavier standing by the door with tears in his eyes as he clutched his teddy bear tightly.

       I didn't even wait for him to ask if he could sleep in my room before telling him to come onto the bed. Once he did, I sat him on my lap wrapped my arms around him. "You're okay," I said softly.

       "Mommy left me," he said between sobs, which made me sigh. Recently, Xavier had been having nightmares about what Jolie did and I was really hating it. He was only three years old. This was going to affect him for years.

       I couldn't even put him in a daycare because he would probably feel like I was abandoning him, and I would never do that to him.

       "I know," I said. "But I will never leave you, okay? I'll always be here for you."

       Xavier just nodded and snuggled into me, his sobs turning a bit lighter before he was finally able to fall back asleep. I gently placed him beside me on the bed, tucking the blanket around him before I laid back down. I was just happy it was the weekend otherwise I would not only be completely tired in class, I would just be worried about him the whole time.

       I was always worried about him since Jolie decided to do something completely horrible to her own son after she so desperately tried her hardest to gain custody of Xavier and for what? 

       She didn't even seem like she actually wanted him, and as much as I hated what she did, I was glad she wouldn't be allowed to see him again.

       And if she did go to prison, I was going to make sure she didn't go anywhere near him when she got out. She didn't deserve to see him.

       I was now too worried to fall back asleep, especially because Xavier was whimpering quite a bit. 

       It did take me a long time to fall asleep and when I finally did, I didn't wake up until Xavier was awake and started jumping up and down on the bed. "Wake. Up. Wake. Up."

       I couldn't help but chuckled a bit as I opened my eyes to look at my son. "I'm up."

       "I have waffles?" Xavier asked and with the smile on his face, it was as if he didn't have a nightmare last night at all.

       "Sure," I said, so we left my bedroom and headed down the stairs and to the kitchen. 

       Mom was there, and she gave the both of us a smile. "Good morning."

       "Morning," I said as I headed to the fridge freezer while Xavier climbed up on one of the chairs at the table. "We still have waffles, right?"

       "Hudson, come on, we always have waffles," Mom said. "I always make sure we have enough just in case we run out. We don't want a repeat of last year."

       I chuckled at the memory of Xavier laying down on the living room floor, refusing to get up until he got his waffles so Mom had to go out and buy some. Having waffles was the only thing he would ever have a temper tantrum over and even then, it wasn't really a temper tantrum. It was more of a silent protest.

       I took out some frozen waffles before placing them in the toaster. "So, Mom," I said. "Are you working tomorrow?"

       "No, why?" Mom asked. "Do you have plans?"

       "Yeah," I said. "I... I'm planning on taking Nova out. On a date."

       Mom stopped what she was doing before turning to face me with a wide smile on her face. "I'm sorry, can you say that again?"

       I sighed. "You heard me the first time, Mom."

       "I sure did and may I just say finally!" she said, a bit too enthusiastically. "It took you long enough to finally ask her out."

       "You can't blame me," I said. "I have a son and the only way I'll ever date a girl is if she loves him almost as much as I do and understands that I need to put Xavier first. Nova does and not only that, Xavier loves having her around. I... I really like her and I want to see where we'll go."

       Mom still smiled. "Good for you, and I know Xavier won't get upset if you spend a lot of time with Nova."

       "Mostly because if I do, Xavier will be with us and he loves Nova," I said.

       "I love Nova!" Xavier said cheerfully.

       I chuckled. "See?"

       "Well, you're very lucky to find someone like Nova," Mom said. "I know you won't have any problem with her getting mad or whatever for putting Xavier first. Unlike someone."

       I sighed as the waffles finished in the toaster, and I waited a few moments for it too cool down before I put it on a plate for Xavier. "I'm not looking forward to that trial at all," I said, knowing my mom was referring to how Jolie acted. "I'm worried. I really am. I'm worried she might get a light sentence, especially if she gets a really good lawyer. Which she definitely can afford."

       "She won't," Mom said. "Any sane judge will see that Jolie put a three year old's life at risk and shouldn't reduce her sentence just because she's rich enough to afford a good lawyer."

       "I hope," I said but with Jolie, I could never be too sure. She was the type of person that always expected to get her way and most of the time, she did get it. In fact, the only way she didn't get her way was probably right now, being in custody.

       I really wished this wouldn't be one of the times when she got her way.

_______________

lol sorry for the long wait. I HAVE TOO MANY BOOKS GOING ON WAIT NOW, AND I'M HORRIBLE AT HOLDING OFF UNTIL I FINISH A BOOK BEFORE STARTING A NEW ONE.

I just counted and I have 17 books being written right now, with one being on hold, and not counting the bonus content books. And it won't be long until I'm going to be writing 20 books at once. cx