[ II. the newcomers ]

Start from the beginning

Ron and Harry cheered, "Hear, Hear!" Ron didn't waste a moment before attacking the plate of chicken in front of him. The brunette gingerly took a roll, biting off the end before setting it back down so she could inhale her mashed potatoes. The group ate in unusual silence, too famished to waste any of their dinner time on talking. 

Verena watched as Fred licked a spot of chocolate off his fingers but immediately flicked her head away when Hermione caught her staring. She coughed as the busy-haired witch raised her eyebrows. "Look, Dumbledore's going back up!"

Sure enough, Dumbledore was making his way to the podium. So! Now that we are all fed and watered, I must once more ask for your attention while I give out a few notices," Dumbledore began. "It is my painful duty to inform you that the Inter-House Quidditch Cup will not take place this year."

His words were followed by an immediate outburst. On either side of Verena, Ron and George were gasping inaudibly. She heard Fred scream, "You can't do that!" But before Dumbledore could explain, the doors of the Great Hall banged open. Every head in the room swiveled to catch a glimpse of the odd-looking man standing in the doorway. He made his way through the great hall, his footsteps echoing dully through the silenced room.

When the man reached the podium, he shook hands with Dumbledore. The pair spoke in whispers and soon after, Dumbledore directed the man to a seat behind him. "May I introduce our new defense against the dark arts teacher?" Dumbledore announced brightly into the silence. "Professor Moody!"

Verena turned to George. "Moody? As in Mad-Eye Moody?"

"I suppose so," he whispered back. Verena's eyebrows shot up. "Please explain to me why a lunatic is teaching us?"

Her words were greeted by silence. Dumbledore opened his mouth once more and Verena sighed into Ron's shoulder. "He's still not done?"

"And now, the most exciting news! We are to have the honor of hosting a very exciting event over the coming months, an event that has not been held in over a century." Ron's sharp intake of breath and George's tight grip on Verena's arm were enough to let the brunette know she wasn't the only one intrigued.

"It is my very great pleasure to inform you that the Triwizard Tournament will be taking place at Hogwarts this year."

"You're joking!" Fred yelled loudly. Verena rolled her eyes as everyone else chuckled.

"I am not joking Mr. Weasley," Dumbledore replied calmly. "The Triwizard Tournament, well, some of you will not know what this tournament involves, so I hope those who do know will forgive me for giving a short explanation, and allow their attention to wander freely."

Verena, already having heard of the Triwizard Tournament before, decided to stop paying attention at that moment. Over the summer, Cedric had invited his friends over multiple times. They spent the whole night discussing girls and classes and, well, girls. This normally wouldn't have bothered Verena. The only problem was Cedric and the younger Diggory shared a wall— an extremely thin wall.

So when the boys discussed how hot that one Ravenclaw girl was or how mundane Professor Binns' assignments were, Verena heard every single detail. In the midst of their ridiculous discussions, the boys had briefly brought up the Triwizard Tournament. She didn't remember much about it except for the fact that people had died in it.

Verena was shaken out of her daze when Fred whispered, "I'm going for it!"

"Not if I go for it first," the younger girl smirked.

Fred grinned down at Verena, "In your dreams, Diggory."

"When I dream, I sure as hell don't dream about you, Freddie," the brunette hissed back.

Fred narrowed his eyes but the dark-haired girl was saved from what was sure to be a snarky remark from the Weasley boy when Dumbledore began to speak once more. "Eager though I know all of you will be to bring the Triwizard Cup to Hogwarts, the heads of the participating schools have agreed to impose an age restriction on contenders this year. Only students who are of age will be allowed to put forward their names for consideration. This"—Dumbledore raised his voice slightly, for several people had made noises of outrage at these words, and the Weasley twins were suddenly looking furious—"is a measure we feel is necessary, given that the tournament tasks will still be difficult and dangerous and it is highly unlikely that underage students will be able to cope with them. I will personally be ensuring that no underage students hoodwink our impartial judge into making them Hogwarts champion."

The old man's light blue eyes twinkled as they flickered over Fred's and George's mutinous faces. "I, therefore, beg you not to waste your time submitting yourself if you are under seventeen."

"And now, it is late, and I know how important it is to you all to be alert and rested as you enter your lessons tomorrow morning. Bedtime! Chop chop!" Dumbledore sat back in his seat, signaling the close of the night. The scraping noise of chairs being pushed back filled the room as students made their way to their dormitories. The twins, fuming, stood up aggressively.

"They can't do that!" George and Verena exclaimed together.

"They're not stopping me from entering," Fred added stubbornly, scowling at the top table.

"Fred, think about it," Verena reasoned. "As much as I want to put my name in too, there's no way any of us are getting past Dumbledore's restrictions."

Fred's face lit up into a grin, knocking the breath out of the girl. "Ver, think about the glory!" Fred exclaimed, throwing his arm around Verena's shoulders. "Think about everything we could buy with all that money! Roses and chocolates and all those other things girls like!"

Verena scoffed, throwing the twin's arm off of her. "In your dreams, Freddie," she mimicked his earlier words before turning to catch up with Harry, Hermione, and Ron who were already halfway down the hallway.

"You're always in my dreams, darling!" Fred called after her, but he was sure she was too far down the hall to hear him.

George amusedly rolled his eyes at his twin's antics. "You went just a little too far there, Freddie," he joked as he clapped his twin's shoulder, but Fred shook his head with a twinkle in his eyes.

"It's never too far for her, Georgie."

•••

As always, please leave any and all of your love and/or criticism in the comments, I'd love to hear from you <3