Chapter 2- The drawing

(n) returned inside the house, leaving Laughing Jack standing alone in the garden. She hadn't even said she was leaving but Laughing Jack followed her anyways. He decided to stick around her until she would finally consider him as a friend and they could play his favourite game again.

She went into her room and Laughing Jack transported himself silently to follow her. Upon entering the girl's room he noted that her room was extra ordinarily tidy for a child. But perhaps it was her babysitter who had cleaned up the whole mess.

Her toys were all orderly arranged,  and he did not have to fear stepping on any pieces. He took a look at the green walls which she childishly had drawn trees and animals on. She must have been scolded for that.

Upon seeing Laughing Jack, (n)'s face went sour.

"What are you doing here." It was more of an accusation than a question.

"Are you not going to call the cops?" Laughing Jack smiled again.

"You don't seem to be human, so I think the police would be useless."

Laughing Jack lifted a brow. This girl had some guts, he had to admit.

"Alright, monochrome clown, what do you want? Food? Money? I can give you that, just please leave me alone."

 "No, (n), I want to be your friend."

"Friend?" She said the word as if it was the first time she had ever heard of it.

She had a far away look in her (e/c) eyes and said nothing for a moment. She then turned her back on him to her sketch pad, her expression unreadable.

"Friends? I don't want any." Her voice was barely above a whisper.

Laughing Jack's blue grey eyes widened. What she serious? What kind of child did not want to have any friends?

"Listen, (n), I am Laughing Jack and is my job to make lonely children smile by being their friend."

"I see. Well, your job is not needed here so why don't you look for someone else who wants friends? I'm sure there are lots of other children who are dying to have a friend."

Laughing Jack lingered for a moment, staring at the little girl in shock. He had a feeling she was hard to befriend with but to hear that she did want not any friends just stunned him. What was wrong with her?

"Why do you not want a friend? It's fun to have a friend."

She paused for a long while again.

"It's only going to hurt if you lose a friend. Better to be off alone."

Her voice was so emotionless, but somewhere beneath that, Laughing Jack could sense a hollow sorrow inside her. It was not like he actually understood human emotions but he had slightly experienced them himself, and one of them was disappointment.

He had been forgotten about for thirteen years and could perfectly remember the emptiness and loneliness he felt when he was left inside the box. That's why he had to look for lots of playmates and kill them off before they would grow up.

 He scratched his head, unsure of what to say. Perhaps it was best to get to know her before hand.

"What happened to your friend?"

"Hmm? Never had one."

"Then how would you know if it's painful to lose a friend?"

"...I just do." She growled, obviously annoyed. "I suppose I can't get rid of you, now do I? If you want you can play with my toys, just make sure to put them back properly."

"But it's no fun playing by myself!" Laughing Jack exclaimed.

(n) simply shrugged and continued drawing. He dared to take a peek at her drawing and saw that she had been drawing yellow tulips.

"You really like flowers, don't you?"

"Yes, flowers resemble us so much. Just like flowers, we people bloom and then simply whither away."

What was with this girl, relating her drawing to death? Most kids were shitless scared of death, some don't even understand the concept but she just saw it as something so normal.

"Aren't you scared to die?"

She thought for a moment but then shook her head.

"No, eventually we all are going to die. It's just a matter of accepting it."

Laughing Jack stared at her drawing quizzically. How could such a young girl grasp all the terrors of this life? What made her open her eyes to such?

"Well, back to you. What are your plans?"

He was not entirely sure and question himself. What was he going to do? He did want to be friends with her, she was fascinating. But would he ever succeed in doing so?

Well, it would be worth a try.

"I want to be your friend so I will stay."

"Hmm? What makes you think I would be friends with a monochrome clown that doesn't even seem human?" Her smile had a hint of cruelty behind it.

"Yes, one day we will be best friends, I guarantee it."

"Oh really..." She squinted her (e/c) eyes.

What a great arrogance she had for her young age. She was really something special.

"(n)? Your parents are back." The voice of the babysitter called through the house.

"Yes, I am coming."

She laid her sketch pad aside and ran towards the door.

"Well, I don't know about you, but please don't get me into any more trouble."

She turned to Laughing Jack one more time before leaving her room and then left to greet her parents.

Laughing Jack picked up her sketch pad and took a look at her drawings. She was still young so her drawings were of course not the best but she was clearly better than other kids around her age.

She mostly drew flowers, he realized,  as he viewed drawings of roses, tulips, orchids and the like until he reached a drawing that rather struck him. There was a girl lying in a field of white roses, but her blood was coloring the white roses red and the girl had (h/c) hair and (e/c) just like her. Was this girl supposed to be her? Why was she drawing a picture of herself dying?

He couldn't understand. Why did she draw this? It was a beautiful drawing, yes, but hardly something a girl below ten years old would draw. Not even adults would draw pictures of their own deaths, so what was this?

Laughing Jack couldn't make sense of his feelings. He never felt anything aside amusement and happy for a long time. Was he sad? Scared? He didn't know. All he knew that this picture was disturbing him in a way.

He snuck up to the dining room and saw (n) talk to her parents. They seemed to get along well. They didn't scold her or hit her, they looked like completely normal parents.

No violence or pain could be sensed from this family, unlike Isaac's . So why was she like this?

Best Friends(Laughing Jack X Reader)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara