𝟶𝟷| 𝐏𝐨𝐩𝐜𝐨𝐫𝐧

Start from the beginning

"Hello?" Casey spoke into the phone, looking up at you as she leaned against the kitchen island.

You waved the movie in front of her face, asking her opinion on it. She immediately nodded in agreement as she brushed her short blonde hair behind her ear.

"Who is that?" You mouthed.

She simply shrugged. "Who are you trying to reach?" She asked the caller.

You set the hard case down beside Casey, allowing her to continue with her conversation as you walked over to the stove. With eyes glued to the popcorn, your stomach growled at the sight. You knew wouldn't be able to wait until your brother arrived to dig in and start the movie. 

"I think you have the wrong number," Casey smiled while pushing off the counter. "It happens. Take it easy."

She hung up and set the phone down before turning to face you. "I think Steve is gonna be a no-show," she said with a pout.

"How come?" You frowned.

"It's already after ten."

"Well, he probably got tired after football practice and went home." You deduced. It was better than worrying that he was out there getting murdered or something.

"Maybe..." She mumbled.

The phone suddenly rang again, and Casey quickly picked it up in hopes of hearing her boyfriend's voice. "Hello?"

You gave her a questioning look, also wondering if it was your brother on the other line, but she shook her head.

"So, why'd you dial it again?" Casey laughed at whatever the person said. "You're forgiven. Bye, now."

You quirked a brow as she hung up, "Why'd they call twice?"

"To apologize."

You nodded, leaning back with your elbow propped against the counter behind you.

"Oh, Cass!" Your eyes lit up as you recalled some baffling news you'd been told at school earlier today. Casey's brows raised at your sudden excitement, waiting for you to continue. "Have you heard the rumor going around about M—"

A third ring resounded from the phone in Casey's hand, cutting you off. She seemed visibly annoyed by this and handed it off to you.

You gladly took the phone from her, curious as to who the hell was calling so late at night. "Hello?" You said, straightening your posture.

"𝐖𝐡𝐨 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬?" A raspier voice spoke back. You couldn't help but notice how attractive he sounded.

"Who are you?" You questioned roguishly while hopping on top of the counter, and finding a comfortable sitting position.

"Tell me your name and I'll tell you mine," The caller replied in a seductive tone.

"I don't think so." You let out a playful scoff. Casey glanced at you curiously as she began to shake the jiffy pop with an oven mitt to protect her hand.

"What's that noise?"

"Popcorn." You smiled, curious as to what the guy actually wanted.

"You're making popcorn?"

"My friend is," You said, wiggling your brows at her. She giggled and shook her head at you.

"Your friend?" The caller repeated.

"Uh-huh."

"𝐖𝐡𝐨 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬?" The man asked again, unintentionally sounding tense. You glanced at Casey who stood beside you, brows furrowing at his sudden change of tone.

"Here." You gave her the phone back, not even bothering to answer him as you slid off the counter. It was clear he only wanted to talk to her for whatever reason. "I'm gonna put the movie in."

Casey nodded while holding the phone to her ear. You grabbed the movie case from the kitchen island and brought it back into the living room.

You could hear their conversation continue on as you inserted the tape into the VCR. Casey's sweet voice carried through the house as they drifted to the topic of scary movies. You weren't sure how much longer the call would last, already becoming bored.

"Why? You wanna ask me out on a date?" You heard Casey teasingly say, and your ears perked up at that.

That was enough for you to teleport back into the kitchen with a mischievous glint in your eyes.

"Maybe. Do you have a boyfriend?" You watched as Casey twirled the phone cord around her pointer finger and thumb, amused by the caller's futile flirting.

"Mm... no."

You gave her a pointed look when her gaze met yours. Her blatant lie confused you, but maybe it was better not to give a stranger personal information.

"You never told me your name."

"Why do you wanna know my name?" Casey asked with a smile.

"𝐂𝐚𝐮𝐬𝐞 𝐈 𝐰𝐚𝐧𝐧𝐚 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐰𝐡𝐨 𝐈'𝐦 𝐥𝐨𝐨𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐚𝐭," The caller replied loud enough for you to hear. Casey visibly stilled, the smile instantly falling from her lips as her heart skidded to a stop.

The phone cord unraveled itself from her fingers as you stepped around the kitchen island to reach her.

"Give me the phone." You demanded, eyes hardening at how upset your friend looked. She did as you asked, no longer wanting to speak with the man.

"What did you just say?" You asked into the phone as Casey rushed into the hall, checking the locks to the all windows and making sure they were shut before coming right back.

"I said I want to know who I'm talking to," The caller replied, however, the eerie emphasis on the word "talking" sent a chill down your spine.

"No," You shook your head, becoming concerned. "I heard you. That's not what you said."

"𝐓𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐝𝐨 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐤 𝐈 𝐬𝐚𝐢𝐝, 𝐎𝐫𝐭𝐡?"