Fifty-Five: Drums of War

Start from the beginning

"Is it time?" she asked.

He nodded slowly. "We're ready to march."

"So you came to say goodbye?"

"I refuse to say goodbye," he said, and the side of his mouth quirked ever so slightly. "It's far too final. I'm simply planning on kissing you 'until I come home'."

She allowed a small smile onto her face. "I like that."

He sobered up after studying her for a moment, pulling her closer to him. "I'll be back, I promise."

"You had better, otherwise I'm coming after you," she promised, and they both knew she meant it.

Orion just stared down at her as if he were memorizing her face. Although neither would admit it, there was a real possibility that Orion might not return to her. He put up a strong, confident front, but she could sense his fear through her bond. That scared her more that anything. Orion was never afraid.

She reached up to wrap her arms around his neck and pull him into a tight embrace. She stood on her tiptoes as he bent down to bury his face in the crook of her neck, right where his mark was. She felt his lips brush the mark in the gentlest of kisses, and she just pulled him tighter.

"You're afraid," she whispered.

Orion sighed and nuzzled into her neck before standing up again, although his hand stayed buried in her hair. "I am, but not of Draco."

She frowned and tilted her head to the side in question. What else was there to be afraid of?

"I'm afraid our time will be cut short," he admitted softly, his fingers tangling further in her hair. "We've only just found each other."

The lump found its way back into her throat.

He continued, even softer than before, his voice barely a breath. "I'm afraid I could lose you before we finished our forever, Skylar."

Another tear escaped onto her cheek. "I suppose that means you had better make sure you come back to me, Orion Nogard."

"I love you," he said, stroking her hair back from her face.

"I love you," she replied, staring up at him, her heart aching. She didn't want him to go, and she wanted to go with him. She dragged his mouth down to hers, locking him in a kiss that was tender and full of fire all at once. She tried to convey to him what he meant to her through their bond, with her feelings, because there were no words for her to express herself. She tried to tell him how much she needed to protect him; she was his mate, it was her job.

And you're his mate, her dragon whispered, the first full sentence Skylar had ever heard from her. This is how he's protecting you.

<><><><><><><><><><><><>

"They'll be back, Skylar," Nana said, wrapping an arm around her. Skylar was still staring at the trail traveling west, toward the edge of the territory. The soldiers and dragons had disappeared long ago, but she still watched after them. She knew it was the last time she would see some of them, and that broke her heart. This was all her fault, and she wasn't even fighting for them.

"Not all of them," she whispered back to the healer.

Nana sighed and her arm tightened. "Unfortunately, no, but we should go prepare the infirmary so that as many can return as possible. Shall we?"

Skylar nodded, but didn't move. She could feel Orion through their bond, her gut was pulling her to him, letting her know where he was. He was still worried, but he was also angry. She sensed he was settling further into "warrior" the farther they got from home and the closer they got to the danger. She also sensed it was her own worry that was keeping him from full investing in his anger and determination. She need to stop distracting him, and the only way to do that was to distract herself. She wasn't sure how to do that, unfortunately.