Memories in the Distance

"As always, I can't make any sense of you." Rin, now only wearing his swimming trunks, remarked as he and Haru, whose hair was now in a high ponytail, got onto the starting blocks.

"Whatever." Haru said nonchalantly as she adjusted her goggles over her eyes. "You better get ready, Rin."

"And you're as cold as ever." Rin commented dryly . "Yeah... you really piss me off."

"Makoto." Haru called over to her childhood friend, who was standing and watching from the sides with Nagisa, who was now wearing his pants. "Please give us the start signal."

"Okay." Makoto said, nodding in a agreement.

"We'll race 100 meters, freestyle." Rin stated as he and the young woman got into position.

"Ready, go!" Makoto shouted.

The two swimmers quickly dove into the water, Rin landed a few feet ahead of Haruka.

"Wow! Rin-chan has a stronger kick!" Nagisa exclaimed in amazement.

"But..." Makoto spoke up. "Haru's stroke is faster."

The two boys just stood and watched the two swimmers race through the water, Haru starting to catch up to Rin a little. Soon, the two were almost done with the 100 meters, Haru still behind Rin, but still catching up a little.

"Haru's so good." Makoto commented.

"Yep." Nagisa agreed. "She lost ground to Rin-chan on every turn, but she's nearly caught up with him now!"

'Damn! I can't shake her!' Rin mentally exclaimed as he and Haru swam closer to the other end of the pool.

"They're making the last turn!" Makoto said, stating the obvious, as he watched the two swimmers with suspense as they cut through the water.

The two swimmers flipped.

"Who hit first?!" Nagisa asked.

"Too close to tell!" Makoto replied.

Haru and Rin kicked themselves off of the wall to propel themselves forward, starting to swim to the other end.

"They're neck and neck!" Nagisa exclaimed.

"No, Rin's legs put him ahead after the turn!" Makoto said. "Haru..."

In the water, Haru noticed that Rin was still a few feet ahead of her. She forced all of the will and energy she had into trying to catch up with him. Suddenly, as she kept swimming, a strange sensation overcame her. Haru felt herself floating in the water, nothing there but her and the water, nothing but silence was heard. Her face was blank as always as she floated and stared up at the light that was shining through the water.

'I've seen this before.' Haru thought. 'This sensation...' She closed her eyes. 'I get it now. This is what I wanted. No need to rely on or work with other people. I just want to drift through the water in silence.'

Haru pulled from her thoughts when she felt her hand touch the wall of the pool.

"Haru-chan!" Nagisa called.

"Haru!" Makoto said.

Makoto and Nagisa knelt down in front of the lane their female friend was in.

Rin removed his swimming cap and goggles and slammed his fist in the water. "Yes!" He yelled. He turned to look at the young woman in the lane next to his and immediately noticed her hard panting.

As soon as she caught her breath, Haru turned to Rin, her face expressionless like always. "You won." She said in monotone. "Good for you, Rin."

"Good for you?" Rin repeated, growling. Then he grabbed her goggles, which were now hanging around her neck, and pulled her closer to him.