♡ seven

by the time we made it to the bonfire, the sun had already set. 

maci, olivia, and i were pretty late, due to a minor argument that the girls had.

"i still don't understand why you wouldn't wear a thong with your leggings, olivia. i can see your panty lines," maci groaned. 

i rolled my eyes, and kept on walking. "listen maci, i'm on your side here, but it's dark out. nobody's going to be able to see liv's panty lines."

they both shrugged, which let me know that the argument was on hold. 

"anyways, how did things go with you and lil romeo?" maci laughed to herself, and liv joined in halfheartedly.

thinking about the situation caused my blood to boil, once again. "he's an asshole. he tried to tell me that he had feelings for me, even though he had giant love bites all over his neck."

liv's eyes widened, and a look of extreme disappointment showed up on maci's face. 

"fuck. sometime tonight, we'll talk to grayson first, then ethan," maci nodded.

i bit my lip when i spotted ethan.

 he was making his way over to meet us, which caused my heart to race. i didn't really want to talk to him, but i couldn't stop thinking about how good he looked. he was carrying a sweatshirt, and wearing a blue and white striped shirt, and shorts. i really liked the way he looked in stripes. 

thankfully, i had gotten myself together before ethan reached us. 

he gave the girls loose hugs, then stopped to look at me. "brie, i'm really sorry about what happened earlier."

i didn't have anything to say, so i just stood there, idly. 

"um, i brought you my sweatshirt. you look cold," he passed it to me, and cleared his throat.

maci groaned. "jesus christ, you two obviously have a lot to talk about. just go up to the lifeguard tower or the rocks, and don't come back until you're done."

"but what if i don't want to?" i crossed my arms. 

without any warning, ethan picked me up and threw me over his shoulder, for the second time today. "see you guys later, we won't be gone too long."

i decided to admit defeat. i let my body go limp, like a ragdoll, which caused ethan to laugh. 

"you're cute when you're mad," he chuckled. 

ethan was really starting to get on my nerves. "this would be a good time for you to stop talking. take me to the lifeguard tower, i don't wanna climb any rocks."

he nodded, and quickly made his way to the tower. it was a neon blue color, that stood out against the beige sand and the sky's rich blue color. 

when he finally put me down, i realized that i was still going to have to climb on top of the tower. 

ethan made it up there in no time, and reached down to take my hand, so he could pull me up.

i accepted his help, and took a seat next to him when i made it to the top. "thanks."

"no problem," he grinned. "we need to talk, right after you put my sweatshirt on."

i groaned. "is that really necessary?" 

ethan rolled his eyes. "brie, you're wearing a tank top, and it's cold as fuck out here. just put it on."

"fine," i picked the sweatshirt up from my lap, and slowly slid it over my head. "happy now?" 

when i put my arms in the sleeves and pulled it down, i realized that the sweatshirt was heavy with his scent. it took everything i had not to blush, because of the semi-sweet gesture.

"it's yours now, keep it."he had a smug look on his face, probably because he saw right through my act. "but, um... i just want to start out by saying that i'm sorry.

my unbreakable silence made him nervous, which caused him to talk more. "i don't know, i just feel like you're somebody that i could get very serious with, as time goes on. that scares me a little, especially because... i'm really impulsive, and sometimes i sabotage myself, without even meaning to."

i wasn't expecting for him to open up, it really caught me off guard. "so, what exactly are you trying to say?"

"i'm saying that i'm unintentionally trying to fuck up a good thing."

a/n: my birthday is coming up sooooon