The Robe Menace

The Robe Menace

by MoonofMorrigan

Disclaimer: This is a work of fanfiction. I do not own nor have any affliation with anyone or anything connected to The Hobbit or Thranduil. The Hobbit is © Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. All rights reserved. The Hobbit/Thranduil trademarked to Middle-earth Enterprises and licensed to New Line Cinema. No profit is being made.

For @sdavid09.

AUTHOR'S NOTE: This is for the prompt given to me by @sdavid09 for her "what if" fic challenge. The prompt was: What if Thranduil got his robe stuck in door when trying to make a dramatic exit? Lindir special appearance courtesy of Elrond.

It's short, and silly and shows our king's unfortunate temper. ^^;

Thranduil rolled his eyes as he regarded the elves in front of him. He had been forced to take part in council meetings for at least two days now and he was ready for it to end. He said his opinion on all of it, and nothing they had said thus far was changing it.

"You need to at least consider letting the dwarves of Ironhills have free passage and protection through Mirkwood! Honestly, you should provide such for any who pass along those trails." The elf in question said eyes narrowed in frustration.

Thranduil stood. He had enough of this. "I gave you my word. It is no. I may be willing to provide guides, but at a cost. Unlike your Lord Elrond, I have no ring of power to keep my land healthy and safe. We survive by our wits and knowledge of our lands alone. The magic that protects my forest is there for my people's protection. It has always been about their well- being. You would have anyone and everyone stampede through my wood knowing it's secrets."

"The dwarves are not just anyone. They are solid folk who can provide additional protection and trade if you would just consider..."

"I SAID NO!!!" Thranduil roared, making his voice echo about the room. His voice became a dangerous purr then as he leaned forward, hands on the table to support him, and was eye-level with the elf in question. "I will hear no more of this. Go back to your Lord Elrond and tell him to mind his own business. I will certainly mind my own."

With that the elf-king turned on his heel, let his blue robe bellow out behind him and made his way to the door. Being flustered he did not notice the door begin to shut far to quickly after he exited and it caught his robe in it's crack.

"Honestly!" he snarled at the wooden door as he tugged on the fabric. All this accomplished was him hearing the straining of the threads in the fabric and he had to stop. He eyed the caught piece of fabric like it was vermin, then reached for the handle to the door. He opened it quickly, pulled the fabric behind him and stood tall trying to make it look as though nothing was wrong. However, before he shut the door he caught the look of the elves at the table. Some were confused as to what was happening, but the one elf he did not want to know in detail about his mishap when trying to make a grand and final exit seen it all and was sitting there with a handful of elves who dared to snicker, or hold their hands over their mouths. He gave the elf a hateful look and turned without shutting the door.

About an hour later Lindir came to his rooms with a cup of wine and some food as Thranduil refused to eat in the halls. He was embarrassed and furious at once.

As the elf sat his plate in front of him, Lindir eyed the robe slung over a chair in the room with a raised brow, then turned back to his king. "Anything else my lord?"

"Yes," Thranduil threw an accusatory finger at the robe, "get that garment's length heightened. The thing is a menace." The next moment with more force than needed he broke his loaf of bread in half.

Lindir snickered and gave a slight bow. "Of course."