27. Disaster (Part 2)

CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN
'DISASTER (PART 2)'

༻༺

THE COLD, EARLY MORNING AIR DRIFTED THROUGH THE STILL OPEN FRONT DOOR, turning the house into what felt like the inside of a walk-in freezer. My arms had started to go cold and my bare feet were numb as I sat on the stairs rocking back and forth, whilst staring at the empty space in front of me, mumbling inaudible things to try and reassure myself that everything was going to be okay.

I'd been sat here for the best part of half an hour, unable to move or think properly as earlier's events kept repeating over and over in my head, not to mention the words that Colin had said to me before he left. I couldn't believe someone could be so evil, so full of hate, and how badly I judged his character. Every time I looked up at those red letters on the wall I felt my soul shrink just a little bit more. I know I've said it already, but now I really wish I'd never gotten involved with him. If I'd just listened to Brian and Roger in the first place, none of this would have happened. This was my fault, all of it was my fault...

Speaking of Roger, I was starting to get extremely worried about his whereabouts. The fact he hadn't come home yet was concerning, surely the club would have shut by now? Then I started to wonder; what if Colin and his cronies had gone after him next? What if the reason he hadn't returned was they'd tracked him down, taught him a lesson too? The very thought made yet more hot tears spill down my now red, tear-stained cheeks. If something happened to him, I would never forgive myself. All I wanted right now was for the drummer to come home.

After what felt like a lifetime sitting like a statue, I heard the sound of a car pulling up outside, and a door opening and closing. My heart started racing again as my mind went over who it might be, the thought of it being Colin making me feel sick to the stomach. The sound of footsteps hurrying up the garden path got louder as they approached the house. But, fortunately, it looked like my luck tonight had finally turned around as the person who walked in the door I couldn't have been happier to see.

'Heidi?' Penny came rushing through the doorway at the speed of light. She caught sight of the living room, 'Jesus Christ...' before turning back to me and joining me on the stairs, 'Heidi, what happened?'

I could barely speak, 'I-I...'

'Oh my god, you're freezing cold!' she exclaimed as she put her arms around me, 'How long have you been sitting here?'

'I-I dunno, an hour maybe,' I managed to say with a trembling voice, although unable to look at the blonde girl who was gazing back at me with deeply concerned eyes, 'W-what are you doing here?'

'Freddie and I were on our way back to his place when we drove past and I noticed your front door was wide open. I thought it was odd so I got the cabby to stop. Good thing I did, eh?'

I could only nod profusely. Then, just moments later, Freddie came running into the room.

'Holy shit,' he breathed when he stopped and saw the inside of the living room. He looked in our direction before kneeling down in front of me, 'Oh my god. Heidi are you alright? What the hell happened in here?'

I shook my head as I gazed into space, 'I thought it was Roger coming home from the club,' I whispered as more tears welled up in my eyes, 'I thought it was him knocking stuff over, walking around downstairs. How could I have been so stupid?'

'Heidi, Heidi, look at me,' Penny told me kindly but sternly as I tried to calm myself down, 'Have you phoned the police?'

I swallowed hard as all I could do was shake my head in reply. Penny simply looked at Freddie who got up and went straight to the phone, as she held me closer, the warmth of her body comforting as I shivered in her arms. My head suddenly shot up.