Christmas Present

The winter break came and none of the Gryffindors had told on Harry. He could go into the common room now, when Fred and George weren't there, and even the girl's staircase allowed him up.

The Weasleys were staying over the winter, and some of the other Gryffindors as well. Oliver Wood – who Harry rather liked after he had protected him from McGonagall – was one of them. Then there were three second years, Johanna and Michael Cole and Jack Alan, Harry didn't know them very well. Angelina was going home over the holidays, but another girl from her dorm, Alicia Spinnet, was staying. There was no one other than Oliver and Percy from third year, and none from fourth. But eleven people stayed from fifth and seventh year, because – as Harry was told – they had exams they needed to learn for. And a girl named Anita Jeneff stayed from Charlie's year.

Harry liked that the common room would be emptier than usual. All the people were nice to him, he simply couldn't help but feel that he didn't deserve it and they somehow thought they had to be nice to him, because he was famous or something maybe.

Fred and George came up to the dorm on the last day of school, and Fred let himself fall onto the bed. Now that Harry thought about it, there were only three beds in the dorm and he was occupying one of them, where did the other three sleep? He began fidgeting with the hem of his sweater. Fred and George had let him keep the clothes that he had shrunken, and he wore them as much as possible, so he wouldn't have to ask for their clothes so often. Though Bill had brought him some more clothes his size – Harry had no idea where he had gotten them – so clothes weren't much of a problem anymore, but he had sort of become attached to those first garments he had been given.

"Free at last," Fred sighed.

"What do you want to do, Harry?" George asked. "We've got all the time in the world now."

Harry didn't respond, although his gaze shifted longingly to the window. He hadn't been able to go outside even once all the Gryffidors knew about him. But he looked back down quickly, he didn't want Fred and George to think he was ungrateful.

"Speak for yourselves," Lee groaned. "I'm going home tomorrow and I still haven't packed."

"Never put off until tomorrow, what can be done today," George scolded playfully.

"Wanna come down to the common room and leave Lee to his packing?" Fred asked.

Harry nodded and was picked up by Fred and carried down the stairs. He looked a lot healthier than when the twins had first found him, but you still wouldn't think that he was nine years old.

"Hey, Harry," Angelina greeted when they reached the common room.

"Hi," Harry mumbled.

"Oh, I've got an idea," Fred said suddenly.

"What are you two up to now?" Angelina asked, raising an eyebrow.

Fred grinned and pulled out his wand. "How would you like to do some magic?"

Harry's eyes widened. "Can I?"

"Go on," Fred encouraged, handing him his wand. "We'll try a simple spell, 'wingardium leviosa' I showed it to you once, remember?"

Harry nodded eagerly.

"Hey, Angelina," George asked. "Have you got something light he can levitate?"

Angelina rolled her eyes, but handed him a spare bit of parchment.

"Alright, Harry, I'll show you the motion and then you try," said George and waved his wand.

Harry watched him closely, and then repeated the movement, and said the incantation. The parchment ruffled a bit, but otherwise nothing happened.

"It's okay, Harry," Fred said. "Mostly no one gets it at the first try."