Hideaway

Entrance to the secret cellars lay inside the House of Gatherings, marked by the great deer's antlers. Two men opened the floor in front of us, revealing an old stone staircase leading down into the cold, damp place. With everyone waiting for me to go down, I felt like I was looking at the entrance to my own jail. I sighed, took an offered torch and held a child's hand in mine. Then I started my descent.

"It is going to be alright," I said out loud, more to myself than to the child.

I was less sure of it when the floor closed on us, leaving me with a little source of light and several dozens of frightened kids.

Having lit up all the torches they gave us, I put them in holders on the walls and went exploring the cellars. It wasn't used for its direct purpose for many years, but the wooden stands were still there, as well as one or two ancient barrels. I couldn't help imagining our ancestors, who descended here to take beverages for their feasts. Who had spilled wine in that corner? Was anyone hiding here when Creones attacked us twenty years ago?

Squealing sound suggested that floor was being opened again and more girls were let inside. Some of them carried their little brothers and sisters, and everyone chatted in low voice, scared and excited. I knew I couldn't expect Christa or her friends here – they were allowed to stay above with their men, but there was at least one person I was going to see for sure.

"Mina!" I exclaimed when she ran towards me and gave me a hug. "Are you alright?"

I didn't need an answer – her looks spoke for herself, smiling and shiny. She wore her normal clothes again. By looks of other girls, I could guess the reason for her happiness: she was the center of attention now.

"I heard the Elder speak on the Square! He sounded inspiring. I only regret one thing..."

"That you are not able to see the fight?"

She nodded, her eyes glittering in the torchlight.

"How much time is left until midnight?" I asked her.

"I'm not sure... At least two hours. Why?"

I shivered, thinking about how much time I had to spend here. There was no reason for closing everyone here so early: even under the circumstances of Creones attack, it made no sense. And now, I was stuck here for the entire night and probably longer. Besides...

"I know why!" she exclaimed suddenly, too loud to remain unnoticed by the other girls. "You want to see Aidan."

I hushed her and led her a little aside, to escape the curious ears. "Don't be ridiculous? Why should I see him?"

"First of all, because... What are you doing?" She faltered when she saw me slowly moving back, towards one of the walls.

I tried to act natural, but she noticed my intention earlier than I expected. Seeing that other girls were busy tending to the children, I turned around and started to examine the cellar's walls quickly. A small arch in one of the walls led further into the darkness, and that was where I intended to go.

"I'm looking for a way out," I said briefly and slid into the arch, making Mina a sign. She followed me eagerly.

"I can't just sit here and wait while everyone I love is in danger," I spoke freely once we were out of sight. "I'm going to help."

"But how?" One of the most irritating things on earth is when someone asks you questions you don't know how to answer. Mina had just asked one.

"I don't know yet, Mina," I said too loud for someone who tried to remain unnoticed. I was touching my way forward, feeling the cold stones under my fingers. "I'll find a way once we're out of here."