Coming home

I was aware I was asleep. I already got used to the vivid, lifelike dreams I had in Ossian Forest and I found myself wishing I could spend every night sleeping under these giant pines and oaks. No matter if I forgot these dreams later, or they stayed in the back of my mind, indistinguishable from my real memories, I still wanted to see them, if it was what it took to be in the forest.

This time, I opened my eyes to the bright light of the day. The bonfire had already died out, and I had a feeling that everyone was already gone and left me behind. I wasn't scared; I knew they had a good reason for leaving, but I had to hurry up if I wanted to go with them.

My feet showed me the direction and I just went through the morning forest. I found myself back in the Hollow of Mull and spent a while examining the empty huts. I knew it had been only several hours since they were abandoned, and I felt sad that the people who lived there had to leave this place. Although I remembered that I was with Aidan, Mina, and the twins, in my dream their images mixed with the inhabitants of Hollow of Mull. I no longer knew who I should be following – them or the mysterious Caereni tribe, who had just abandoned this place.

Suddenly, a man walked past me. He was obviously in a hurry, a pressed something that resembled a book to his chest. I couldn't remember how old he was or what he was wearing, but I was sure he looked like someone from the different times. His appearance slipped from my mind whenever I tried to concentrate on it, so I even stopped trying.

I called him out, and he jumped up, taken unawares. He stopped and looked at me, obviously wishing to continue his journey.

"Aren't you coming?" he asked. His voice was beautifully low and was even a little familiar.

"What's going on?" I asked him, surprised at how different it sounded.

"Don't you know?" the man sounded desperate. "We're leaving. We all must leave."

"But why?" I caught on his mood and felt desperate that they had to leave, and terribly wished they could stay and I could stay here with them.

The man shook his head.

"There's no time. Are you coming or not? Arian, wake up!"

"Wait, I'm coming with you!"

"Arian, wake up!" I bolted awake, my mind still telling me I had to follow the Caereni man and not to lag behind. I was still dark around me, but I felt energetic like I had had enough sleep or didn't go to sleep at all. What was wrong? Did I miss something important?

Shaking off the last trace of the dream, I looked around to see the sun hadn't risen yet – it was still a deep night. Aidan kneeled in front of me.

"I'm sorry I woke you up," he said gently, although he obviously had no sleep at all. I ran a hand through my hair to brush them a little bit. "Ain and I are going to explore the forest around to make sure we are not chased. Could you stay with Fin and Mina? We'll be right back," he said, noticing the concern on my face.

"Of course." Although I didn't like the idea of the guys leaving us, I didn't want them to think I was afraid. I picked up a long stick and automatically started to stir coals in the bonfire, contemplating the dream I had just seen. Its details were already fading, and I tried to hold on to the details of the conversation only to find out I could already remember nothing but the feeling that I wanted to go with the Caereni tribe, wherever they were going.

Watching Aidan and Ain walk away in opposite directions, I caught myself thinking that I liked to be the responsible one, watching two people who needed my help. I thought, in the last couple days I had proved that I was capable of taking care of myself, and this gave me confidence that I could also take care of other people. After all, this was in my bones – wasn't it what my father and mother were doing for all their lives? My heart squeezed when I thought I was going to see them soon. If Kristen had already reached the Ossian Village, they must have already known I was alive and safe... They also knew about the threat that was coming and started to prepare for it. As I listened to an owl hooting in the distance and cicadas' songs somewhere very close, this thought warmed me up better than the dying bonfire.