[1] The Second Best

CHAPTER ONE_

The Second Best

I kept on tapping my fingers against the table as I stared at my phone. Classes will start in just 5 minutes and yet, Tao's still not here. I've been waiting for almost an hour already, and it took all of me to swallow my pride and pretend that I didn't notice the crew looking at me in pity as if it was way too obvious that I was being stood up. I kind of expected this to happen, so why am I still disappointed?

Sighing, I picked up my bag and walked out of the restaurant, murmuring a thank you to the crew whom had been kind enough to give me a glass of water earlier out of pity. Meanwhile, it's like a bitter pill slid down my throat and fizzed into my heart and stomach as I finally accepted the fact that I was indeed, stood up. Again. Breakfast together? Yeah right, like that would ever happen.

I glanced up at the sign as I walked out, making me break into a bitter laugh. To think that he even invited me to his favorite Chinese Restaurant. Last week, it was lunch at the cafeteria, and the other day, it was at my favorite cafe. He was so sorry that he forgot our appointment so he promised to treat me breakfast at his favorite place, but of course, you know now how that turned out.

 I'm dumb, I know. I keep giving him chances even if he breaks his promises to me every time. I'm dumb enough to keep on trying to understand and give him the benefit of the doubt because I believe it's not his intention to treat me like this. He has tons of other friends a lot more famous and deserving of attention than me, and I'm just a nobody. Maybe I'm just expecting too much from him, giving more meaning to something so trivial.

Shaking my head, I just walked towards the campus just a few blocks away. In no time I reached the big gates of the campus, immediately seeing a lot of girls hanging around by the gate, trying to pretend to just happen to be there but apparently obvious that they're waiting for someone with the frequent looks they spare at the streets outside. Of course, considering that this is already a daily occurrence I know well enough that they're waiting for the "handsome and famous guys" to arrive. Which only means that Tao hasn't arrived school yet as he is part of that group, and they always arrive almost at the same time.

I paid no attention to the crowd and just went on walking into the campus grounds. All of a sudden, a big hand landed on my shoulder, making me whip around. It was Tao, but it just felt surreal seeing him after what happened that I had to take a few seconds to stare up at him and confirm he was real. His brows were furrowed as if he was in deep worry, and I almost thought he was going to apologize for standing me up again.

"Seollie, do I look okay?" He made a slow turn, showing me every inch of his outfit. He was wearing a simple white tee with black skinny jeans, and finished off with his trademark leather boots. "Does it look... sloppy?"

My heart fell at the realization that he forgot about it after all, but I tried my best to not let my disappointment show on my face. I forced a smile and patted his arm. "No, Tao. You look perfectly fine. You look good in anything."

You're perfect. I wanted to say, but of course, I couldn't. No matter what he does, may it be the way he dresses or just by the way he blinks, he's perfect. I don't know about the others, but to me, whenever I look at him, that's all I can see.

"Waaah you really are the greatest Seollie!" he squealed as he wrapped an arm around my shoulder. He buried his face into my hair, trying to smell my candy scented conditioner, as usual. I couldn't smile genuinely this time, though. Although I kept trying to push it away from my thoughts, I was still hurt by the fact that he forgot his promise to me again.

I almost forgot that we were still at line of sight of the crowd of girls until I heard murmurs.

"Omo! She's so lucky to be so close to Tao-oppa!"