"Well she looks twelve," I answered bitterly.

"Then clearly you haven't seen a real twelve year old in a while. Although she is hitting puberty late, but she isn't a simple child anymore. You can tell she is going to be very pretty," Helen said. 

She's too young for Luke, I reasoned.

Well, technically it's only seven years. The negative voice in my head piped in.  That's not too big of an age difference, really.

But she's fifteen! The positive side of me argued. As of now, she is way too young for Luke!

Isn't sixteen the legal age for marriage in Aregano?

I grimaced. You couldn't marry until age eighteen in Embryia, but the rules were a little different here.

"Oh, Lucas! Do you really like my dress?!" Princess Calista's eyes went huge as she stared at Luke.

"It's very nice, Princess."

Ugh.

Yes, my maid outfit had been tailored for me, but it wasn't a princess gown. It was a stupid servant outfit.

"You are so nice, you know. I can't imagine how you can handle my brother. He's so loud and overbearing." She clicked her tongue.

"Both she and her brother don't seem to mind the servant class," Helen whispered to me.

I turned to her a cocked an eyebrow.

"You know..." she started.  "The Marstella Incident?"

"I keep hearing about this.  What's the Marstella incident?" I asked.

"Oh, it's a long story." Helen shrugged it off.

"Really, Prince Coleman is fine," Luke answered Princess Calista.

"Oh, I doubt that. You are too perfect for your own good, you know," she prattled on.

"I uh...I-I don't know how to, uh, answer that," he stumbled, rubbing the back of his neck and flushing.

My stomach gnarled.

Princess Calista's laugh rippled through the parlor. I hated that her laugh was cute and not obnoxious and I hated that I was jealous of a fifteen year old!

"You are quite precious, you know. That's part of the reason I insisted you come, you know. I'm sure all of my friends will be quite enamored by you." She beamed at him.

"Oh, I doubt that."

"Nonsense! How could they not?"

"I'm sure they will be hoping for a glance at your brother."

"Coleman? Tch!" She waved her hand to the air. "He's not that special, really."

"Prince Coleman's sister here I think is the only girl who doesn't understand how attractive her brother is," Helen told me.

"I think, for once, that the Princess makes some valid points. He's honestly not all he's hyped up to be." I smirked.

"Whatever you tell yourself," laughed Helen.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I frowned.

"Helen!" Calista interrupted.

"Yes, Princess?" She briskly walked up to her.

"I just realized that I forgot my earrings!"

"I'll go fetch them for you, Princess Calista!"

And then I was alone to watch the Princess flirt with Luke, with no one to share my snarky comments with. Maybe Calista's endless stream of compliments would wear Luke down. Besides, she was the freaking Princess of Aregano, thus unimaginably wealthy. And that never hurt anyone as far as I knew.

"Princess!" Luke suddenly broke in. "I just of something that would really help make your party special!"

"Ooh! What is it!" she squealed.

"It's a surprise.  I have to go fetch the item."

"Oh, of course." The Princess nodded. 

 Luke's eyes then locked with mine.  "Miss Cassie, would you come with me to get something for the Princess's party?"

I grinned. "I'd love to."

Princess Calista grimaced. "Do you really require Miss Cassie's assistance, Lucas?"

Luke simply smiled. "Yes."  

Author's note:

I'm back!  (I hope!)  I've adjusted my hours at work, so I'll have more time to spend on this story!  I apologize for taking so long to post.  I'm terrible, I know.

Side note, I got some questions asking about the character's ages.

Cassie: 22

Luke: 22 

Prince Coleman: 25

Princess Calista: 15 (if you didn't get that from this chapter haha)

Chef Jonathan: 27

Ethan: 23

Any other questions? :)

As always, thanks for reading!  If you liked this chapter, I would appreciate a star haha.