CHAPTER THIRTY TWO

Start from the beginning

What Mr Summer did to him.

"Mindy would do anything for me. She listened to father's rules so that he would no longer hurt me. She would come visit me, even if it meant punishment when she got caught. I heard father tell her to act as if there was nothing wrong, and that's was she did," Austin said sadly, a frown forming on his face.

"The house where you found me was a place only father and a few of his friends know about," he explained.

"The friends he's with now, work for the illegal company he has. I was still able to hear him and one of his workers talk after they beat me. Father sells drugs and gains most of his money than the small company he has. But recently, there's been a problem and his trades haven't been doing well. When he heard about Ace and his father, he planned on using Mindy to get close to Ace so he can find a way to take money from his father."

Austin continued to tell me how Mr Summer has never been caught. He's built up a very good impression upon himself, always looking innocent when someone questioned him. There is also no evidence that shows the illegal work he's done. Apparently, he's great at covering up any clues or information that could send him to prison.

But that's going to change. I'm going to make sure he goes to jail.

When Austin stopped talking, he asked to go inside one of the tents to rest. One of the guys offered to let him use their tent. As Austin went inside the tent, I talked with Charles and Jacob. I don't know if they know, but I'm pretty sure they're flirting with each other. I'm a pretty weird person because I find it cute when two people have no clue that they're flirting with each other.

Is that just me?

When I asked Ben if they could just track down Ace's phone, he told me that they have already tried, but apparently, the signal was closed off. Trying to call him was a bust, so Ben didn't try anymore. Before I could ask him a question, I saw his eyes widen as he walked passed me.

Turning around, I saw the person who disappeared after he kissed me.

"Levi! You're back!" Ben exclaimed. "Where the hell were you!? Thank God you're not dead."

Levi rolled his eyes and whispered something to Ben when he was close enough. All their other friends surrounded him, even Jacob, while I was left to watch. And even though Levi was surrounded by so many of his friends, his eyes still managed to land on me. And they stayed on me.

His eyes averted from mine to look and Ben and tell him something once more. Ben nodded, and soon enough, everyone scattered away. Levi walked towards me, and as he did, I can feel the awkward tension start to build up again.

He stood a few feet in front of me before giving me a small smile. "Hey."

"Hey," I smiled back.

There was a pause of silence before Levi asked if he could talk to me in private. I really wanted everything to go back to normal. I don't want there to be anything weird between us. We're friends.

He led me to a different area this time, but like before, it was still close to camp.

"So," he spoke, scratching the back of his head. "I kind of left it really awkward between us the last time I saw you."

"Yeah..."

He looked at me and sighed. "Look, I'm really sorry about... that. The truth is, I like you. But I knew that Ace does to. I mean, he makes it pretty obvious. You're stupid if you didn't realize it sooner or later," he chuckled, earning him a slap on the arm from me.

"Violent much?"

"Don't call me stupid."

Levi rolled his eyes before looking at me again. "Anyway, I knew that you'd never have feelings for me since I knew you like Ace. So, I tried to move on. I tried dating other girls, but I would always compare them to you..."