Him & I

"Why are you fighting me on this?" Setting down the plates for dinner, my mom scolded me for the fifth time tonight.

"Because!" I snapped, running my hand through my hair. Once I realised I raised my voice, I lowered it until it was barely even audible.

"Because he loves her..."

"You believed that dimwitted creature?" Mumbling, she brushed past me and went back into the kitchen.

"Mom! They've been dating for over 8 months, and they were happy...I ruined that for them. For Tony."

"Let me tell you something...If a man wants something, he'll go after it, and he isn't going after her, so why are you worried?"

In a weird way she gives the greatest advice, and she doesn't tell me what I want to hear, which is one of the many reasons why I run to her for advice. But she wasn't right this time...she was far from being right.

"Look Valentina, you were there for him when she left him, you were there for him when she hurt him. Why would you want to leave him now?"

I sighed unable to think anymore right now.

"You'll be okay, honey." She gave me a hug, and I shook my head, finding comfort in my mother's embrace.

"I think I'm pretty fucking far from okay mom." Mumbling quickly, I moved away from her and grabbed my glass of wine, downing it in one shot.

There was a knock on the door, and before I could even think about opening it, she sprinted towards the door in a flash.

Okay....not weird at all.

"John!" I called for him, informing him that it was time for dinner.

"Sorry I'm late, I got held up at the helicarrier." When I heard his voice, I spun around instantly, watching him smile to my mother, who had an arm wrapped around his shoulder, guiding him inside.

I knew she was up to something. Goddammit.

Forcing a smile, I walked towards him, wrapping my arms around his neck and pulling him into a hug that I didn't realise I needed.

By the way his shoulders were relaxing, I realised he needed it too. Even more than I did.

"Let's eat." My mom said before shooting me a wink, ignoring my glare.

Once we sat comfortably on the dining table, they started a conversation about microwaves, which by the way I thought was very weird.

"You've been avoiding me." He whispered in my ear after both my parents disappeared in the kitchen.

"That's not true." I lied.

"Okay...For starters, you're always gone when I wake up in the morning leaving a note as a crappy lie. Whenever I try to have you alone in the room, you do everything in your power to make sure that we aren't. So I'm going to ask you once...what's going on?" He said all that without breaking eye contact, and I wanted to tell him. I really did.

But if we had this conversation I'm sure it would end up with me telling him to stop talking to Pepper. And I just can't do that to him. I'm a jealous bitch I know, but I value his happiness more than mine.

"It's...nothing." I lied to him again, and watched as his left foot wouldn't stop tapping on the floor in anxiousness.

****

"It's hard to believe you're anyone's mom." Tony said to my mother, who giggled in response.

Rolling my eyes at the conversation, I decided to walk to my bedroom to pick some stuff up.