Simply a Pleasantry - Chapter Twelve

Start from the beginning

Currently, she was pacing the ballroom; Nathaniel hadn't shown up all afternoon, and now it was three-o'clock and he failed to appear. Abbi was worried, and even though she had no right to be, she still did.

Jeffery was walking towards her now, looking a little speculative. "Madame ...? Is everything alright?"

Abbi turned on him like a dog with rabies. "... I was wondering ... could you get Nathaniel for me? I need to speak with him ... like, right now." She said quickly, her voice sounding rushed.

He took a step back cautiously before nodding in consent. "Um, Yes, Miss Worthington."

The small old man practically skipped from the room, a relieved expression befalling his face. She stood still, and locked her fingers behind her back. It couldn't have been more than three seconds before she felt Nathaniel's breath down the back of her neck.

Abbi turned, forcing a wide smile at seeing him.

"Hullo ... Um, exactly how did you get here so fast? I know for a fact that Jeffery has stubby legs ..." Her tone was undeniably curious. Maybe she would find out if Jeffery was a human or not; Abbi really hoped he was.

Nathaniel carefully raised one eyebrow and watched her, expressionless. "I could hear the conversation."

She nodded deeply. "Ah, yeah. That's right ... your Vampire hearing. Listen, I need to talk to you."

She saw some small bit of laughter in his eyes. "So Ive heard." He said.

Abbi snorted and continued on. "I wanted to ... you know," She shrugged; most of the time it wasn't Abbi who was saying sorry. "Apologize ... for my words, the other night. I didn't mean what I said ... It was just, more like, I had to face the realization of the Laws. And, it was difficult mainly because ... I really like you." She bit her lip awkwardly, however most of what she had said was true.

"Your words?" He looked like he was itching to grin, so instead, Nathaniel put a hand in front of his lips.

"Yes," Abbi said moodily. "My words."

Nathaniel nodded thoughtfully, before finally a smile tugged at the edges of his mouth. "Fine, then. Apology accepted."

Abbi knew he would give her forgiveness; even if she just got through chopping off his toes. "Thanks," She said, anyways. They stood there in silence, and equitable amount of electricity sparking between the two. It was Nathaniel who spoke first.

"Alright then; see you later."

Abbi stood there with an open mouth, as he turned around and started striding back towards the staircase. She lunged after him, grabbing at his arm, while stuttering a bunch of Waits.

He turned towards her curiously, those blue eyes beseeching her own.

"Where are you going?" She said breathlessly.

"To my room? Is there something else you need?"

"You don't want to spend time with me?" She asked, her eyebrows scrunching together.

"Well, you never asked. I thought you still wanted to abide by the Laws, though; it would only help our ... situation."

Situation? "Oh scratch the Laws, Ive gotten boring in my time without a frustrating vampire. There is nothing to do except read, and I have already read most everything in your bookshelf; even your diary." She argued.

Nathaniel looked terrified. "You read that?" He demanded.

Abbi blinked and gave him a funny look. "You have a diary?"