Chapter 10

He woke up in his room.

Thank God it was just a dream, he thought as he sat up and looked around.

Everything was normal, same comfy bed, same fluffy pillows, and the now empty cup of hot chocolate Jaxen had left on the bedside table the night before. He heard a knock on the door, it was Jaxen.

"Breakfast is ready sir."

He went downstairs, yet as he opened the door, the halls of his house seemed... almost foreign to him, as if he hadn't been there for quite some time. He found his parents already sitting at the table.

"Morning son." his dad greeted.

"Morning dad, morning mother."

His mother simply nodded, not even bothering to look up from the paper she was reading.

"Your mother and I talked it out last night, and we've decided that you don't have to take over the company if you don't want to."

Sachio almost choked on his tea. "Oh? Why the change of heart?" he asked suspiciously

His dad chuckled and pat his back "Well son, we've realized that you're a grown man now, and you should be free to decide what YOU want to be."

Sachio looked at his cup. He thought about the weird dream he had last night and shook his head "Actually dad, I think i'm okay with running the family business."

Benjamin Arnault stared at his son with a surprised look "Are you sure? You don't have to force yourself if you don't want to." Sachio nodded. His dad smiled and ruffled his hair "You really are extraordinary, my son."

Sachio smiled too. Finally things were going his way.

"Sachio?"

"Yes mother?"

His mom stood up, walked towards him and placed both hands on his shoulders "Wake up." she said it in the same tone she used to send him to his room.

"What do you mean? I am up."

As soon as he said it he felt her grip on his shoulders tighten "Wake. Up." she said again, louder this time.

"What are you talking about? I'm up!" he argued.

Her grip tightened again "Wake up!" she shouted.

"I am up! I'm wide awake!" Sachio shouted back "Right dad?"

He turned around, his dad's face was frozen in the proud look he had moments ago.

"Dad?" he asked warily. No response. He turned back to his mother and gasped. Her face had turned grayscale. He looked around to realize that the entire place had too.

"I'm still dreaming, aren't I?" he said aloud his suspicions that he'd hoped weren't true.

"Indeed you are boy." a chill went down his spine. He's heard that voice before, even though only briefly.

The scene shifted and he found himself in the garden, standing in front of the kalaparu tree. The old lady was sitting next to it, wearing the same grey cap and dress she'd wore when she sold him the tree. She moved her hand over the tree and it glowed, color returned to it's leaves. It glowed brighter and brighter until Sachio had to shield his eyes with his hands.

"Sorceress! What kind of curse have you put me under?!" he shouted at the light.

From the other direction he heard the lady's voice "I didn't do anything dear, don't you remember your wish? I told you the tree was magic did I not?"