33 • Serendipities

Start from the beginning

I was about to retort, asking if I really just looked okay when he stared at me for a long time after he was surprised a stranger was sitting on his table, when I notice the cake he's eating.

Even though some part of the cake has been removed, I can still clearly see the words 'Happy Birthday' with red icing. Now that I think of it, the he's eating is exactly the cake Jaehyun described to me. The marshmallows ornamenting the top of the chocolate cake just proved my point.

"Why you little...!" I half whisper half shout at the man, my hand in mid-air.

His eyes widen so much, shocked. "Were you going to hit me?"

"So you're the guy who bought the cake!"

He glances at the cake and then back at me. "What are you talking about?"

"That cake," I emphasize as I point to the one he's currently eating, "is mine. That should be mine. And you bought it."

"There isn't any name on it! And the guy said it was okay."

"That wasn't for sale! My friend made that especially for me!"

"Too bad I already bought it," he smirks, taking a big bite of the cake and exaggerates the way he ate and savoured the flavor, trying to piss me off.

"God, please stop with that face," I say as I cringe, disgust evident in my features.

"Would you like some?" He mentions and I look at him warily, thinking if he was joking or being serious.

One thing was for sure: this guy's got some serious mood swings. A while ago he was surprised, then shocked, after that he became teasing, and now he's straight serious.

I roll my eyes in response, looking away to not be tempted, although I still took a sneaky glance at the dessert, my stomach urging me to say yes.

Sadly, my pride won't let me.

"I guess I'll be enjoying this cake by myself then," and again that smirk makes a comeback, a mischievous glint in his eyes. I had this powerful urge to slap him right then and there.

"You seriously have some serious mood swings," I mutter under my breath, forcefully taking my frappe from the table and lean on the couch, slurping from my drink while glaring at the still teasing guy in front of me.

"So, um, happy birthday, I guess," he mentions in between gulps, breaking the slience taking over the atmospehere. He stares at me as I glance back at him strangely, wondering how he knew.

"How...did you know?"

"I mean that cashier dude - he looks hot by the way, totally would hit on him if I were gay, which I am not - anyway, he made it for you, as you said, today, so my intuition says your birthday is today. And being the cultured citizen that I am, I am greeting you a happy birthday."

I shrug. "I didn't even think of receiving that cliche greeting from a stranger like you, so keep it. I don't even want to celebrate this birthday of mine," I scoff. "Especially with you." I whisper so that he wouldn't hear me talking bull.

"Why? What's wrong with today?" He asks. "Today is a great day! Your friend made you a really wonderful and yummy cake just for you, and you met a great person - me!" I roll my eyes when he just praised himself. "What is there to be sad about?"

"One, you stole that oh so wonderful and yummy cake that should be mine, and two, you are not as great as you think you are." You enumerate. "That reminds me. Why did you buy that cake in the first place? For your friend? Does someone have their birthday today also?"