The New Settlement

We found refuge in a cave behind a waterfall in the forest. It was surprisingly big. In fact, it was a whole cave system. We could probably make a town out of this cave, which I assumed we would have to do. We counted, and there were exactly forty-seven Nighttime Beasts, but there were only twenty small caves that we decided would be “bedrooms.” The medium-size caves were going to be things such as meeting or gathering rooms, and the biggest cave, the one you walk into when you go behind the waterfall, was going to be the main cave.

The first thing we did was figure out who the leaders were. They wanted it to be all adults (people who were 21 or older), but then they found out that I was the one who organized the escape, so they decided for the age limit to be thirteen and older. They decided that I would be a leader, along with Ichi and Irii. Since the cheetah, whose name turned out to be Coco, was the main subject of the escape, she turned out to be a leader, too. They wanted more than just four leaders, so they had a nomination. Lots of people were nominated, and we were given an hour to decide.

We decided on three more Nighttime Beasts. One of them was a boy named Copper, who was about seventeen. He was half cat, and one of his orange ears had a small cavity on the side. He had probably gotten into a fight at some point. He had green eyes, and wore a black hoodie and jeans. His tail was striped yellow and orange, as he was a tabby cat. Another was a girl named Asaso, who was about sixteen, one year older than me. She was half owl, and had long straight black hair and red glasses. She wore a white sweater dress with black leggings and brown leather boots. The last one we decided on, which went over much debate, was Machirao. The main reason we decided on him was because he had chosen us over his mother.

The next thing we did was decide on sleeping groups, as there weren’t enough bedroom caves for everyone to have their own. All the leaders got put in the same group, just because they didn’t want us to have to “deal with everyone else.” I was perfectly okay with that, it’s just it would’ve been nice to have been grouped with a few extra people, too. After all, what was the point of having meeting caves if we were just going to all be in the same cave at the same time anyway?

I walked over to my sleeping cave, which, might I add, everyone had made sure was the biggest? It was by, like, one inch. But who cares? We’re all still people, and no one is better than someone else.